Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (165 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Thunderbolt engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
K4xxxx ?

Posted on: 2012/6/3 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packard's engine numbering, at least back to the 1935 Junior cars, used a progressive alpha system for each year (series) having an alpha character as the first character in the engine number. Then, depending on the size and type of engine would start the numerical sequence with a different number set. For example, in 1952 the 288 was K2xxxxx, the 327 5-main bearing engines were K4xxxxx, and the 327 9-main bearing engine was K6xxxxx. For 1953 Packard used the letter "L" as the lead character. Other characters were added at the end of the number for particular non-standard dimensions or features. Big Kev did created a comprehensive table of engine numbers from 1899 to the end which is available here. I also did one, but it was more limited.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/6/3 15:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Unless you car was special ordered with a 327, it should have a "K2" motor which is a 288 5 bearing, which was standard on the 1952 200 & 200 Deluxe models. The "K4" 327 5 bearing motor was standard on the 250/300 models.

If you already have a 288 motor in there. I would leave it as is, as there is really no different between the 51 to 52 288 motor except the serial number.

Posted on: 2012/6/3 15:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
i am not pulling the 51 288 right now. i am running it, i got it running good. but eventually ( this winter ) i want to put the right motor and transmission in the car.
this is the numbers form my registration.look at my page here and tell what you think. The numbers i saw from Big Kev's research says the motor is a k4xxxx

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=981

i may have my Packard only eight or so years and related to the Packard bros and have not the time to do the reaserch that you guys have done. But i am indebted to this web sight for a great many things. and thank you.

How do i know what motor came in for sure??? nine bearings ( K6xxxx) are 53-54 motors are they not??

Posted on: 2012/6/4 13:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
ACCORDING TO THIS:

Patricians had the nine bearing. 200 Deluxe 327 "K4xxxx" all 52 were K's ____

even the 288's.
my 288 is fine. but eventually i wanted the K' 327... just cause it's my car and well. i t came with one. and that's what i want.

i could put a big block chevy in it with Kinsler fuel injection . but not for this car.

thanks for all your help and interest in us fleglings.

by the numbers i posted before in my registry. what K' motor did it come with. >??
there is no way to know is there. a 200 deluxe came with both. not like a vin these days would tell you the motor and trim and whatever even gear ratio. ( the rear is original on my car)

Posted on: 2012/6/4 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
yes 327 and option. but my car has the power antenea and radio, i was hoping for the "option" 327 Thunderbolt AT

Posted on: 2012/6/4 20:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
there is no way to know is there. a 200 deluxe came with both. not like a vin these days would tell you the motor and trim and whatever even gear ratio. ( the rear is original on my car)

If by some miracle the build slip is found, the code would be OE. Some have found them in odd places. Common places were taped to the top metal shield over the glovebox or folded and wedged between the fill tube and vent on gas tank or even under the rear seat bottom in one or two cases. If no slip then no way to know unless a factory record is found in someones collection and that probably won't happen.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 21:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
thanks Howard. and Kev_, and Jw. and Packard8 and the everybody else.

if you here of a 327 K4xxxx with the Thunderbolt AT head , maybe you could let me know. somewhere down here in Southern california, or within a thousand miles.
thanks

Posted on: 2012/6/4 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
"
If by some miracle the build slip is found, "

the slip was on top of the metal plate of the glove box.

the printed/stamped numbers/letters is all that you can read:
they are:

2562 H 14431 64 AT OE HE OF RPE SF FS BU BL LH

( THEN IN PENCIL" 502 )

can you help me decifer?

Posted on: 2012/6/7 14:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can help with some. Not sure on the 14431 unless it's the production number, the 10 or the 502. Don't see a reference to LH. Are you sure on that one. The rest are:

2562 = 200 deluxe 6 passenger sedan
H = paint code Yosemite Blue Metallic
14431 = ?
64 = Trim code Black and gray striped broadcloth
AT = Ultramatic
OE = Optional 327 engine
HE = Heater Defroster
OF = Oil Filter
RPE = Push button radio with electric antenna
SF = Solex glass
FS = Fender skirts
BU = Power Brakes
BL = Back up lights
LH = ?

If you download the 25th series RPO codes from the literature section most is explained.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 15:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved