Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 236

39Rollson, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 46 47 48 (49) 50 51 52 ... 500 »

Re: Various CL Pickings
Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
Well, that 1941 180 Lebaron is an obvious copy of a "factory" 1941 Cadillac (60S).

Posted on: 2014/8/8 8:49
I restore the car, and the car restores me.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Bryan

I thought the intent of the Clippers was to jump ahead of the 60 Special styling . Seems to me the LeBarons were the last gasp of selling "custom" cars to the remains of the carriage trade

Best

John Harley

Posted on: 2014/8/8 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

The $3,545 semi-custom '41 180 LeBaron Sport Brougham certainly drew inspiration from the '38-'40 Cadillac 60 Specials for its body architecture and design details. The major difference was Cadillac knew enough to tool it up for volume production, to sell at a premium price, approximately $400-$500 more than the standard Fisher bodied Series 60's while taking advantage of standard Series 60 mechanicals.

The high-profile 60 Special immediately accounted for 40% of all Cadillacs sold in those '38-'40 models years and more importantly served as the design basis for the GM Torpedo C-Body, shared from Pontiac Torpedo Eight through Cadillac Series 62. the success of those models took the industry by storm for 1940 and drove Packard to hastily create the '41 Clipper.

The LeBaron Sport Brougham was exactly the type of ultra-luxury sedan that should have been introduced by Packard for 1939 Super Eight as a production model in the $2,300-$2,600 price range, just a step up from the $2,100-$2,300 60 Special. As wonderful as the Sport Brougham is, it represents another of the missed opportunities of their late pre-war years.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/8/8 9:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hydraulic windows? Device mounted on engine side of cowl wall, switches on top center of instrument panel, and switches on doors, tells the story, right? Beautiful Packard.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/8/8 9:26
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yep. Switches, and the up-down twin solenoid on the cowl wall. The pump and tank full of brake fluid was mounted under the car.

Posted on: 2014/8/8 9:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
THE REASON i asked about Doc/s 200 is cause of this:

http://bakersfield.craigslist.org/cto/4601546855.html

Posted on: 2014/8/8 10:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BryanMoran
See User information
John
Yes the Clippers advanced and jumped the 60S, so it was a bit too late for what LeBaron did, a copy. Still, it is a spectacular looking car, just instantly dated and a copy.

I am in the process of trying to purchase both a 1942 180 and a 1946 Clipper. They are like night and day, separated by a war.

Posted on: 2014/8/8 15:44
I restore the car, and the car restores me.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Bryan

I'm living that difference. I sold a very well running 1950 Eight when I bought a 1941 160 sedan. Both cars were out of estates in Westchester County and both suffer from the work of previous owners. The 160 has had a very hard life and is needier than I wish it to be.

I just spent much of my vacation time this week packing the shift mechanism with washers so I can drive it without grinding gears or locking the shift arm. I appear to be successful. However I did some wondering about the twisted minds of men while underneath the car wrestling with the splashers and such.

Good luck with the 180, I hope that has been taken care of

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2014/8/8 17:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information

Posted on: 2014/8/8 20:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I didn't realize the executive used a 2 barrel carburetor

Looks like it has a dual action fuel pump, and the brake fluid reservoir on the firewall. It looks like it had factory seatbelts too.

The hotrodders will buy this car for the tail lights and throw the rest away.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Packard-Executive-Base-1956-packard-executive-base-5-8-l-/221518441457?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3393872bf1&item=221518441457&pt=US_Cars_Trucks

Posted on: 2014/8/9 11:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 46 47 48 (49) 50 51 52 ... 500 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved