Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 189

CarFreak, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 21 »

Re: 1950 Packard 288 Auto overheating HELP
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I could argue this till I'm blue in the face and never convince anyone. Bottom line is the thermostat sets the bottom temp for the engine and is there to warm the engine up not cool it or maintain it at the temp of the thermostat except at very cold outside air temperatures. Seems that some people believe the thermostat does just the opposite of what it's there for. Last word.

Don't worry Bob, I'm here with you on that. When I was in the auto parts business I had some many people wanting a "160 degree" thermostat because their vehicle was overheating. I tried to tell them time and time again that it won't stop it from overheating but no one listens to a stupid parts guy.

!!!!Just because you have a 160 degree thermostat doesn't mean that your engine will maintain a constant 160 degrees!!!!

Quote:
I suppose that "too many fins" if taken to an extreme could be issue, I'd say it's about as far-fetched as a balanced Federal budget, but let's see what fin counts folks come up with.

You're absolutely right there. I've never heard the "too many fins" argument, that's a new one for me!

Posted on: 2010/2/2 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Just to clarify... the generic thermostat I picked up at NAPA which corrected the overheating problem on my '50 corrected the problem not by switching from 180F to 160F, but in replacing an old thermostat that barely opened at any temperature. I do understand that all the thermostat does is restrict the flow until the rated temperature is reached... that's all it does. I switched from 180F to 160F because that's what the books recommend and I had to pick one or the other.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 14:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Fin count: from 34 Eight - 12 per inch.
from 36 Twelve - 12 per inch.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 15:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Fin count: from '50 356 - 12 per inch.

Posted on: 2010/2/2 16:36
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
!!!!Just because you have a 160 degree thermostat doesn't mean that your engine will maintain a constant 160 degrees!!!!

I just want you to know I fully agree with this statement in that a 160 thermostat will regulate the minimum temperature to 160. It will not prevent the engine from overheating. It does help cool since it restricts flow of fluid thru the radiator so it has time to cool off.

My thought of changing to a 160 degree thermostat is to see if the resultant engine temp goes down to 160 degrees or remains higher. If the the engine stays over 160 after the change than the cooling system is not good enough for whatever reason /radiator/pump/clogs/transfer tube/ blown head gasket.

I checked the entire engine with a UV temperature sensor/gun and the numbers all jive with the gage. The thermostat housing was about 180 and the front and back of the block were within 5 degrees of each other. When the gage went a little past the vertical then the UV temp was around 190.

When the engine overheated the gage was at full travel within a few (5) minutes and no it never went down.

Thanks for the fin counts sure would be interesting to see if the rad guy was right or not. Will let you know when I get the count.

We are getting snow again so I don't know when I can overheat the beast again and take a uv temp to see how hot it is.

OTG

Posted on: 2010/2/3 14:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Next time you have the temperature gun handly, pull the upper radiator splasher and check across and down the radiator. Of course you should find a good differential (perhaps 25 degrees?) top to bottom, but look for hot vertical "columns" not necessarily but possibly starting at the top which would indicate clogged tubes.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 14:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
That would be one sure fire way to see if there are any clogged tubes in the radiator. Thanks for the suggestion.
Last thing I would have thought of.
OTG

Posted on: 2010/2/3 14:40
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Good suggestion. I would have never thought of using a temp gun like that to check for localized restrictions in a radiator. You do learn new things everyday!

Posted on: 2010/2/3 16:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
It does help cool since it restricts flow of fluid thru the radiator so it has time to cool off.

I agree with this. That is why if you remove the thermostat the engine will tend to run hotter. The system needs the restriction to slow the flow thru the radiator.

Almost thru that in myself before but felt I was being way to winded with my speech.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote:
My thought of changing to a 160 degree thermostat is to see if the resultant engine temp goes down to 160 degrees or remains higher. If the the engine stays over 160 after the change than the cooling system is not good enough for whatever reason /radiator/pump/clogs/transfer tube/ blown head gasket.

All things being equal changing to a 160 degree from say a 180 degree thermostat will not change the engine temp at all. This does not mean the cooling system has anything wrong with it. The best gauge as to the status of the cooling system is weather the thing boils over on a really hot day or not. If you can drive at say 40 MPH when the outside air temp is 100 degrees without loosing water out the overflow tube you don't have a problem no mater what the darn gauge says.

Note: a blown head gasket alows coolant to be lost by it being ingested through the cylinder and dumping it out the tail pipe. The engine overheats because of the loss of water not directly because the head gasket is blown.

Posted on: 2010/2/3 20:21
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 21 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved