Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 154

tsherry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 73 74 75 (76) 77 78 79 ... 120 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Joe,
I really enjoyed taking that ride with you!

Posted on: 2018/5/14 19:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Joe...Thank God the old girl is running fine again. The old Carter was the ticket. Imagine that! Ernie

Posted on: 2018/5/14 21:11
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
the difference in the tank capacity is due to the indentation for the spare tire relocation in 41. the neck is significantly different in 41. Other than that, the stampings themselves are basically the same.

Posted on: 2018/5/14 22:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
It's significantly different? That's significant. Here's pic...much longer neck. Guess it would need to be cut off.

So nice to drive to Tim's la crosse game on this warm summery evening. They are rated #1 in their league and play offs are next week. Prom is Saturday night. So now the question is does she want the top up or down?

So much better than Do I call Dad or the AAA?

Attach file:

jpg  (99.30 KB)
1067_5afa6a6051a79.jpg 1600X1194 px

Posted on: 2018/5/15 0:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If you get new tank to fit, might you be able to send him your old tank, or give him measurements to manufacture a 1940 tank? I cannot do my measurements as some years ago, there was a member of PI that cleaned out the tanks then encapsulated them in fiberglass, so mine is a bit larger.
Thanks

Posted on: 2018/5/15 8:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
TANK: I definitely see where the impression is for the spare tire on the '41 tank. That's about a gallon's worth, wouldn't you say?

So the dimensions LxWxH are probably the same. It would fit using the same straps. The neck could be an issue, which is why I'd like to talk to a buyer hogtie one from Mauricio for a 1940 (all but a 110).

One positive outcome from all this was correcting the 'new' (only 8 years) fuel level sending unit. I bent it downward slightly. Last night back from the game, I filled up and the needle read FULL all the way.

CARB: Ron at Daytona wrote to me on shipping the Stromberg back for warranty service. He didn't think that a hole in the float would starve the engine, but (as you probably guessed if the floats are down like in a horse trough ) it would be flooding gas over everything. He thinks it might be debris in a jet.
EDIT
Problem is, this carb has a history
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=350
and I sent it to Daytona because of their reputation and to have them replace the fast idle spring (which they couldn't).

The engine is beautiful, the Carter carb is ugly, but it runs; and there is beauty in that.

Posted on: 2018/5/15 9:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Thank you for the tank information. The indentation should not make a difference. The clearance from the top and bottom of the filler neck between the chassis is only about an inch. I think that will be our greatest concern.
Looking forward for the information.
Thanks again Todd

Posted on: 2018/5/15 16:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
And I was able to fulfill my promise to chauffeur grandson Tim to the senior prom.

Attach file:

jpg  (118.35 KB)
1067_5b01c1fd8250b.jpg 1024X680 px

jpg  (63.45 KB)
1067_5b01c2090f58d.jpg 609X609 px

Posted on: 2018/5/20 13:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Well done, Joe. Well done.
Pictures to prove the success worth every moment of grief.

OH, and the issue with the 41 tank is the much longer contorted one piece filler neck, unlike the 40, which has that simple hose connection to a filler pipe. I would think Mauricio could make without the spare tire indentation and have you send him a photo of the '40 filler neck (I can provide if requested as I have a NOS 1600/1700/1800 tank here) and he should be "off to the races".

DAF

Posted on: 2018/5/20 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
It's not summer yet, but things seem to be moving as slowly as they do in Rome in the summer, especially for one who wants to hit the road.

CARB: The Stromberg has been at Daytona Parts for a week without word about why it's failing. Warranty service should get priority, but . . .

WINDSHIELD: The front windshield is being reinstalled by King's Glass, but we had to wait for overnight shipment of new rubber. I brought the old rubber home and cleaned it up. It's perfect. It's only been in there 6 or 7 years, so now I have a spare. I guess if it had been installed correctly the first time, it would have been covered in so much glue it would be unusable. Pedro Reyes, one of the last people around Portland who knows how to install these old divided windshields so they seal, with a 1-year guarantee, if actually coming back this morning, Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend, to finish the job he started yesterday afternoon. The top is down to make the installation easier, but today it's wanting to rain. It's such a hassle to put the top up. It's the last thing on the list to somehow adjust the front bow forward a bit.

MOULDING: I took the opportunity to touch up the windshield moulding and to woodgrain the center piece which didn't get done last time.

FUEL: Now that we know the problem was the carb and not the electric fuel pump apparatus, I'll reinstall that and the glass bowl fuel filter.

I'll post some pix after I visit the shop later this morning.

Posted on: 2018/5/26 10:03
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 73 74 75 (76) 77 78 79 ... 120 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved