Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Golden Anniversary Packards
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Hansford
See User information
I have a 1949 Packard Super 8 DeLuxe (https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/index.php?Action=view&ID=1627) that I am having some conflicting information upon. The vehicle is currently painted in what appears to be Egyptian Sand and displays the rarer Egyptian Hood Ornament. I am unable to confirm this is the factory color code due that the VIN plate has been "sanded" smooth by the previous owner (thus removing the "dealership written" color code). I have also not thoroughly searched for the build sheet that may still be attached to the top of the glovebox compartment.

My question involves a discovery with the vehicle. Everywhere that the paint is chipped (removal of the Egyptian Sand color), there is a gold paint being displayed. This is seen around all of the hood and trunk edges where excessive wear has occurred. Also, the rubber hood pads display the same color upon them as well. I know that by the VIN (2372-5-9803) that this is a renumbered 23rd Series car. Does anyone know if there is a place to cross reference the VIN or Briggs Body numbers to possible documented Golden Anniversary gold painted cars? I would like to see if there is a possibility of maybe this vehicle was repainted Egyptian Sand during a previous restoration to get it away from the factory Gold finish. I have a copy of Robert Neal's "Packard - 1948 To 1950" book and have previously emailed him upon the car. I would like to know if there is another documented source that Packard Factory may have made listing the VINs or Briggs Body Numbers of all 1,550 (estimated) Golden Anniversary Gold painted cars.

Any help in researching the history of this vehicle would be greatly appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.07 KB)
77711_5487ddf1375f8.jpg 1280X916 px

Posted on: 2014/12/10 0:45
1949 Super Deluxe Eight
 Top  Print   

Re: Golden Anniversary Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Eric,
to PackardInfo. And for including your '50 Super Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 3:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm not aware that there ever was a record kept by Packard of the VNs of the Golden Anniversary cars. All the true ones (and there are some repaints and others of doubtful originality) that I'm aware of fall between theft-proof or body serial #s of 884730 and 888189 though there are a much larger number of non-Golden Anniversary cars comingled within that range of numbers. What is the theft-proof # of your car?

The fact that you found what appears to be gold paint on the rubber hood pads strongly suggests to me that the car was not an original Golden Anniversary car but a repaint in gold at a latter date.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 9:01
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Hansford
See User information
Owen Dyneto,

I agree that the car may have been repainted due that the rubber hood pads/bumpers are gold too. This may have been due to a "poorly done" paint job in the past. Unfortunately with the "passing" of the previous owner, I have come to a point where it is difficult to track its history.

As requested in your reply, the theft id number and Briggs Body number are as follows: Firewall Number: 903356, Briggs Number: 2372 2930. With the car being a renumbered car and not knowing the original VIN, it makes it more complicated to track the vehicle's history.

Thanks for any assistance that you can give.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 9:13
1949 Super Deluxe Eight
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for the numbers. Comparing your theft-proof number with other cars in my database doesn't reveal any useful insight. Your only hope really is that a build slip is still there. In addition to the slip originally placed above the glove box, occasionally (very rarely after all these years) a chassis build slip can be found between the gas tank filler tube and the vent line, and on even rarer occasions a body build slip has been located behind the rear seat back, but pretty slim possibilities.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 9:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Hansford
See User information
Owen,

Thanks for the help. I guess that this mystery will continue to remain one until I get a chance to look for that build sheet. I can already confirm that the gas filler build sheet is not there when I "dropped" the gas tank last winter. I also believe that the "seat build sheet" is also not there when the seats were reupholstered recently.

Keep and eye out for her to make her movie debut in 2015 when the film production releases the movie "Carol" to the big screen. Everyone's responses have been much appreciated.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 9:43
1949 Super Deluxe Eight
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A really fine-looking machine, take good care of it and good luck with your search for the history. I do note it has the RFA radio (radio, fender antenna) but I'm curious about the antenna on the passenger side, I thought the standard fender antenna installation was on the driver's side front fender (except for long wheelbase cars). Anyone else have thoughts on that?

Posted on: 2014/12/10 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Eric

Handsome Super Deluxe Eight, looks great in its current color even if it isn't one of the gold-painted Anniversary cars.

What color it originally was likely can still be seen on the lower cowl behind the engine. Rarely, unless the car has been subjected to a frame-off restoration, does the lower cowl get repainted when the exterior colors are changed. The more thorough jobs do all the door jams, edges, undersides etc, still leave the difficult-to-do cowl area unchanged.

So, what color is that lower cowl area? How about more pictures of this beauty?

Steve

Posted on: 2014/12/10 18:46
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Eric Hansford
See User information
Steve,

Thanks for the insight upon the lower cowl area that is usually neglected during paint jobs. I have searched that area of the lower firewall behind the motor and have been unable to determine that information. I have found that the firewall has been repainted to a gloss black while the remaining car was painted the Egyptian Sand color. The car has also been poorly undercoated (over all dirt and sand on the undercarriage) as well.

I have attempted to review all places that include the "gold under paint". I have included another photo that displays the gold paint under the trunk hinges that was found after it was removed during the recent Hollywood filming (and repairs). I have found this gold paint on the hood bumpers, wheel rims, and trunk/hinges.

As for additional photos, I have approximately 60 photos provided to me from Volo Auto Museum at time of purchase. I have also many photos that were taken during filming also. Please let me know if anyone would like to see them as well.

She looks good on the inside and out...... All I want to do it not do anything to her that would "destroy" such a wonderful car and take away from her lineage/history.

- Eric and "Ethel"

Attach file:

jpg  (22.45 KB)
77711_548a168897f1a.jpg 538X519 px

Posted on: 2014/12/11 17:07
1949 Super Deluxe Eight
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Eric

You note the lower cowl is painted gloss black. Has that color been applied to just the area from the horizontal weld flange line down? That flange would be the one just above the stamped-in theft-proof number.

Steve

Posted on: 2014/12/11 17:30
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved