Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 221

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 200 Radiator/Fan question
Just popping in
Just popping in

Frankensled
See User information
Thanks for having me on the forum. I just picked up my first ever project car, a 1951 200 Deluxe. Original motor and trans, but rough around the edges. I will be replacing the inline 8 with a Chevy bb 454 that I picked up for pennies on the dollar.

In the mean time while I rebuild that 454, I would like to drive my 4 door tank around. Im having a issue with overheating and before I get to the water pump, I wanted to replace the radiator anyways. The original one has been punctured.

Is there any plug and play radiators that I could put in there from a different automobile? Im trying to keep this as cheap as possible.

Any recommendations for fans too? I was thinking just an electric assembly from a Astro van or something...

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Z

Posted on: 2015/7/7 13:52
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 200 Radiator/Fan question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't believe there are any radiators other than Packard that will just drop in but a few have had some success with late 70s Ford pickup radiators which can be made to fit with minimal extra brackets and mods. Don't have any specific model suggestions though. I'd say the best bet is get hold of a catalog with some photos and see if you can come close with dimensions and the locations of the water outlets.

If the timing is OK and no vacuum leaks then one other thing that can be a source of overheating is the water distribution tube. That is a long thin brass tube with holes to distribute and direct the water to specific places. It runs the length of the block in a passage behind the water pump. If it is clogged with sediment or worse, is one of the aftermarket steel replacements that has rusted thru then it can be the cause of overheating issues.

Can't offer you suggestions on a fan but if stock the car is 6volts so your choices are somewhat limited. Also remember that electric fans -- particularly the 6v variety -- pull a considerable amount of current and your generator only puts out so much.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 14:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Frankensled,
to PackardInfo.

Can't help with your queries but instead invite you to include your '51 200 Deluxe Sedan, with or without the 454, in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 14:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
Take the original Packard radiator to your local radiator shop and get a price for a re-core. I did some research for replacement myself a few years ago, and didn't find anything that wouldn't require making new brackets or other mods. And certainly nothing cheap.

The Packard radiator with a modern core might be a good way to go.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 22:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Frankensled for including your '51 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Registry. Although I suspect you picked the incorrect model from the drop-down list when you did the entry. Shows as a 2465 200 Deluxe Club Sedan but more probably a 2462 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan. But not to worry, it's easily fixed by going in and changing it to the correct Model. I do like your INTERIOR DESCRIPTION of "Floor boards rusted, but owner before replaced them with quick fixes of riveting license plates"
While the "Patina Cowboys here on Site, there are a few of them, will like these:
PAINT NAME: Patina
EXTERIOR DESCRIPTION: Patina!

Posted on: 2015/7/7 23:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Frankensled
See User information
Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/7/9 0:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
Radiator defiantly worth a recore for the money ,if you want increase cooling you can put a high efficiency core in it ,you can take one of those temp sensors and shoot it at the radiator several places to see if there's shunting in it while the engine is running ,thermostat stuck? Or installed upside down? Radiator hose have a bend in it or. An obstruction ? How about an obstruction in the head From rust or gunk ?

Posted on: 2015/7/15 21:50
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved