Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 206

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1950 3speed OD reliabilty ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jtm50
See User information
Thanks Packardv8 for the info and open mindedness. I will have to do some homework.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Jim,

If I were set on driving across country in a 65-year-old vehicle, I would expect and plan on some down time, no matter what engine I had. There are many other parts that could have problems.

I say this even though the 1,000 mile trips I've made did not require much of any repair. (On one occasion, the fuel sending unit wasn't properly sealed and I didn't discover it until a service station attendant overfilled my tank to hit an even $ figure and it leaked gas over the top of the tank. I drained some gas out, didn't fill it as much at subsequent stops, then repaired it myself when I reach my destination. I also had a voltage regulator that went bad. When NAPA didn't have one in stock, I called a local Packard guy listed in one of the two Packard car club directories I was carrying, and he sent me to a wonderful shop filled with fabulous classics who replaced it on the spot.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=430

I have AAA Premier coverage for about $150/year. If you break down and you can't get parts and repair same day at parts supply, they will tow and take you up to 200 miles to a shop if needed and put you up. Anything for your Packard is available from several reliable and helpful suppliers and can be overnighted. It's part of the adventure in Packarding.

But I'd recommend sticking with a Packard straight 8 engine.

Joe

With the price of gas going down, I'm thinking about a 3,000 mile trip to Maryland and back next year.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 13:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JTM50.... If u decide to go with the SBC then try to reasonable. I would definately stay away from any real hi-perf versions of the SBC cranking out 300 hp and enormous torque.

The trans and drive train should carry something like a SBC 305 (a rather anemic V8 in stock form) or maybe 350 from some grand'pa's old caaprice with a 2 bbl.

Others in this forum more knowledgeable about the PRE-55 Packards mite want to advise better on which SBC to use relative to oem packard chassis/drive train.

Based on my cursory analysis of my 48 drive train i would definately keep the HP rating at UNDER 300 hp at the max. Maybe look at the smaller sized SBC's succh as the 305 and chev even had a 260 cid engine sometime in the 1980 -1990's time frame.

Keep us posted.

RECORD ANY NUMBERS OR OTHER nomenclature that is on your trans adaaapter. Please, and list here if u will so that we can watch for such adapters as they can often show up at various swap meets etc.

Posted on: 2015/8/21 14:17
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I'm a bit late on this posting, but the clutch housing pattern changed on the Chevy 6 cylinders when they ended the 235/261 engines in 1962 and started making the 194, 230,250 and 292 engines. The 1963 and up 6 will interchange with the Chevy V-8. The 1962 and back will not....

John

Posted on: 2015/9/4 16:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2016/11/26 0:55
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved