Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 222

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 12 »

Re: New Gas Tank Issue
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Just found a couple of NIB Stant G37 caps this weekend. They are the correct vented type.
Priced right to good homes.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 15:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Just found a couple of NIB Stant G37 caps this weekend. They are the correct vented type.
Priced right to good homes.

Posted on: 2016/8/10 15:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
I'm in line--sent you pm

Posted on: 2016/8/10 20:02
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

VesPac
See User information
First, I'm not complain the overflow when fill gas tank full with cool gasoline it's clear to me what will be the results.
My issue is when I fill gas tank 1/2 to 3/4 full, driving and gas spills out.

I think where the notch is now it's the worst position. Cut neck off and turn it 180 degree will improve a lot but with out notch and vented gas cap is best.

For me is easier just remove the gas tank and weld the notch but I may thinking stupid way: "I have leaky old gas tank ok, I purchase new gas tank with full price and still have leakage. Why I have to fix my new gas tank by my own cost?"

I will make gas cap from Polycarbonate, install action camera and look what really happens. Hope it will proof do I'm wrong or right...

Thanks.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 27.69 KB; Hits: 46

Posted on: 2016/8/11 3:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Instead of removing the tank, cleaning it thoroughly of gas residue and welding up the notch, it's much easier to use JB Weld as we have suggested several times. That can be done with the tank in place and takes 20 minutes with no safety hazards.

I do not understand why you have chosen to go the hard way instead of the easy way?????

Our all original '52 that has an original notch at the side has been driven 8,000 miles with no spillage problem.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 8:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One thing I cannot wrap my head around is the locking flange. Granted it could be camera angle or shadow but to me that particular new tank looks as if the flange is on the wrong side..

I took a photo of my 56 tank (right side photo) and on that one the flange wraps downward leaving a smooth seal surface with no notch. On the new tank in question it sure looks to me like the flange curves upward which if it does, would surely leave a large gap for fuel to escape. Yellow arrows mark the two points I am comparing.

Could someone please save my sanity and confirm it is just optical illusion or do these new tanks take a completely different cap.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.31 KB)
209_57ac96c694eb9.jpg 1600X776 px

Posted on: 2016/8/11 10:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
one could cut the old tank's filler neck where the gas cap goes on and weld it to the new tank. assuming the old filler neck is in good shape.

but I think its a matter of principle and what is right....using JB weld on a 450 plus dollar gas tank is kinda silly to me. Do it once....and do it right....isn't that the saying?

I would be very interested in seeing a camera mounted to the outside of the car and the car driven with the gas filler door open to observe what is happening.

that being said I appreciate that Kanter puts a lot of effort into making new parts for our cars and supplying many NOS and used parts as well.

Posted on: 2016/8/11 10:34
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
I appreciate your comments and yes we do put much thought and care into our products. Years ago we switched to a new water pump rebuilder and over 50% of the first 20 pumps we sold came back as leakers. We knew what action to take. We now manufacture brand new pumps and out of 5000 one or two were leakers, we did not need to take any action.

With the tanks, we have sold over 150 and have only one customer(who is on this site) who appears to have a problem. We will not be recalling 150 tanks in this situation but we will dom everything to determine what the problem is. We have our own car with a new tank and have no problem.

As to "Do it once and do it right" , we seem to have done that on 149 tanks or 99+% or maybe 100%, time will tell. As the customer wants to fill in the notch or move it that is his choice and he realizes it may not be the fix needed.

On the other hand if our experienced tank manufacturer had not put the notch in and customers who were inadvertently using an unvented cap experienced fuel starvation might say, "You should have known that the wrong cap might be used and you should have put a notch in as other reproducers do"

Moral: No good deed goes unpunished

Posted on: 2016/8/11 11:16
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

VesPac
See User information
Today drive about 5 min with action camera. Driving max 30mph and easy. Got good video. During this video there is four bigger and one smaller spill. Tank filled up about 3/4. I cant add this video here but YouTube is right place. Just add one capture picture from video.
For me it's clear whats going on.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.08 KB)
138828_57bfaf44e4f87.jpg 813X601 px

Posted on: 2016/8/25 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
What is the title of the You-Tube video???

Posted on: 2016/8/26 7:29
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 12 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved