Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 222

Gary Kulp, Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pneumatic clutch
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
There is a 49 Packard convertible currently listed on eBay that has a " pneumatic clutch- not working"
I remember riding ai a 49-50 Packard Sedan back during the Johnson administration that allowed the gears to be shifted....I think...without operation of the shift lever.
Might be failed memory, but I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
I am just curious for some information about the pneumatic clutch, how it operates and how difficult it is to repair.
thanks
RJR

Posted on: 2017/8/29 23:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Pneumatic clutch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
The correct term is Electromatic Clutch, here are a link to a Clutch Training Manual in the Literature and Manuals Section.

Not the same animal, but this in 1932 was an earlier iteration.

Posted on: 2017/8/30 0:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: Pneumatic clutch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The big issue on a non operating unit is if over the years any of the components have been removed. Back in the days when Packard parts and expertise were hard to come by, rather than try to fix a non operating unit it was turned off or otherwise disabled. Since some of he components block access to other items that might need service an EC component was frequently removed and not replaced if the unit was disabled and not working.

The major failure items on postwar units is the rubber diaphragm and the steel cable on the power unit which operates the clutch linkage. Both items are reproduced. The other item which may have issues is the solenoid valve which controls the vacuum supplied to the unit. If the rubber seal on that has hardened or cracked it will need replacement. I have seen the valves on ebay so they are available but don't know how plentiful they might be. With exception of one other rubber piece the rest of the unit is all metal and should give very little problem if a unit is placed back in operation.

The postwar unit is quite different in how it operates than the prewar unit. Postwar is much simpler electrically and mechanically so not as much to act up. Adjustments can be a bit finicky but once done they seem to hold fairly well. IMO, the biggest disadvantage to the Packard unit is there is only adjustments for one driver. A second driver may not expect or like the action as it is dialed in and may not appreciate the way it works or feels. For either driver, turning the unit off is as simple as pushing a button and the car operates as if the option was never there.

Posted on: 2017/8/30 9:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved