Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Brake Linings
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
With nos linings from Steve Williams.

And max merritt. Which I think are nos. Came in an nos box.

No problems Ever getting hot..and that's going down banner grade into desert. And also down mtn springs grade.

And down the 101 Hwy..and the 5. Up to Napa and back.

Also driving up in the Hollywood Hills. Beverly hills. ..

Your brakes might be to tight..

Forgot San Fran..up and down those streets

And Lombard...

Posted on: 2018/10/9 18:41
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Getting ready to look into my brake issue and had a thought on what might be my problem. I see there are different shoes for the '55/'56 5580-88 series than the rest of the Packard line for those two years. I would assume the Caribbean would have a larger shoe. If that it so, would the:

1) other model's shoe fit on a Caribbean,
2) would they be smaller
3) how can I tell the difference between the two?

Posted on: 2019/3/26 9:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 5580 and 5680/88 chassis had larger diameter brake drums than the smaller wheelbase models giving more brake surface area. The junior and senior brake parts are not directly interchangeable.

You can find out model differences for most mechanical features by checking the special mechanical spec issue of the Service Counselors. Complete specs for models as initially introduced are in an issue published right near time of introduction for the coming model year. Any changes from those initial specs are generally given an article in a following counselor or have a tech bulletin giving a reason why there was a change.

Here are the pertinent brake specs for the two wheelbases for 55-56 model years.

Attach file:

jpg  (116.55 KB)
209_5c9a4863da759.jpg 1920X554 px

Posted on: 2019/3/26 10:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
So what is the opinion of reusing your old brake lining. I always have if the lining is still sound with no shedding or flaking and still has some thickness to it.
I was reading someplace they said you should never reuse your old lining, but should replace it. Maybe they were more concerned with it being asbestos.
John

Posted on: 2019/3/26 17:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Another reason might be if grease, oil or brake fluid has saturated the lining and cannot be removed by brake cleaner or if the brakes have been so heated the linings are hard and glazed over.

Posted on: 2019/3/26 18:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Re-using old linings is not a problem at all if they are in good shape. Just put them back where you got them.

Now a few comments on the OP's problem. Recognize that a Caribbean convertible has marginal brakes at the best of times. The cars are simply too heavy. Next, what are the diameters of your drums? I have seen many cars where the drums have been turned way oversize--as much as 1/8. Then they do not have sufficient mass to absorb the energy so they heat to the fade point very quickly. I think 12.06 is the max recommended for your car, but 12.03 would be way better.

Lastly, adjustment: unhook the e-brake equalizer and push the cables into their sheaths before doing the rear brake adjustment. If the cables are pulled out, the shoes will not sit on the anchor pins as designed and you will not get the proper self servo action. This throws more work onto the front brakes, and they are at their upper limit anyway. After adjusting the rear brakes at the star wheel to your satisfaction, then adjust the e-brake.

If any of your e-brake cables have those hooky-diddly slack remover devices remove them and toss them with extreme violence. Then call the previous owner and berate him soundly for being an idiot. The cables do not stretch unless the car has been on fire. The brakes are just seriously out of adjustment

Posted on: 2019/3/26 19:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I hope to be getting around to working on the brakes this weekend. I'm going to replace the linings and do a through inspection of everything. If I find I need a drum(s) are there any sources for new?

Posted on: 2019/4/2 18:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
New linings on the car made a world of difference. The drums were about 0.03 to 0.04 oversize. The old linings while they had plenty on material were crazed and cracked.

Took a drive on a mountainous area with no issues.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance & inputs.

Posted on: 2019/4/14 15:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
It just happened that another Bermuda Triangle was brought to me this week with wretched brakes.

"The Treadlevac failed"--well I guess so with brake fluid that looked like dried porridge. And then, as if to perfectly illustrate what I mentioned in post # 16:

Notice that the right hand shoe is not seated on the anchor pin, and indeed the toe of the shoe is worn down to the rivets. There was a pile of brake dust in the drum, and all the rubbers and even the springs were cooked. The cause? Some mouth-breathing troglodyte dragged his knuckles up off the ground long enough to install a cable shortener on the front e-brake cable in an attempt to get parking brake action. Instead of just adjusting the brakes at the star wheel. Don't be a troglodyte.

Attach file:

jpg  (280.73 KB)
618_5cb67d93925fc.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (448.08 KB)
618_5cb67de74ffc2.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/4/16 20:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved