Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Patrician 374 cu. in. hesitation issue
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Hello All,

I'm looking for information on why our 1956 Packard Patrician has developed hesitation and stumbling issues on light acceleration. I'm going to check and clean the original glass fuel filter this afternoon. I'm hoping that may be the easy fix. If not, I'm going to investigate the primary wiring. Anybody else have these issues? It seemed to develop rather quickly after I filled the gas tank with fresh non-ethanol gas.

Posted on: 2019/10/3 11:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Patrician 374 cu. in. hesitation issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Check for a vacuum leak, and especially the distributor vacuum advance unit.

Posted on: 2019/10/3 15:17
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Thanks, that will be my next step. I'll start with the easy check of the filter first, but you're probably right. Old vacuum hoses have a way of making your life miserable. At least there aren't so many of them like on need vehicles!

Posted on: 2019/10/3 17:33
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Like need vehicles, I meant.

Posted on: 2019/10/3 17:56
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Like newer vehicles!

Posted on: 2019/10/3 17:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
A few items to check...

? You may want to watch your glass bowl on your fuel filter to see if fuel is flowing without bubbles or lowering the level in the bowl under hard load or acceleration.

? Also check for a failing diaphram in your fuel pump.

? Check to make sure you are running the correct carburetor.

? Check for a leaking or otherwise bad accelerator pump on your carburetor.

? Check for sticking floats in the carburetor.

? With a known good fuel pump, check for good fuel flow from the tank to the engine.

? Above ALL... check the flex line between the fuel line and the fuel pump. Even when these look very nice, they can develop tiny hairline cracks. Often under load or in certain temperatures, these hairline cracks degrade enough to allow outside air to enter and cavitate the fuel going up to the filter and carb. Seen it happen dozens of times over the years on V-8 Packards.

Posted on: 2019/10/4 13:13
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have the original ceramic filter element just because it looks clean and you can blow air thru does not mean it is clean. If the glass bowl has gone thru periods of sitting where fuel has evaporated and the bowl emptied and was refilled at the next start varnish could have clogged the element pores. While still clear enough for air, the fuel can be restricted to the point there is not enough flow during high use needs and the carb starves. Probably not the issue if the problem is only at low speed and there is no hesitation during higher engine rpm but something to keep in mind.

Posted on: 2019/10/4 13:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll let you know if it's any of these.

Posted on: 2019/10/8 8:38
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

pcyco13
See User information
Apparently it all boiled down to a vapor locking issue. I need to pull the thermostat and radiator and give it a proper flush and backflush. I'll tighten up the fan belt a bit also. Looks like a good spring project.
Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Posted on: 2020/10/27 13:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Glad to hear that you have it figured out. Another cause that appears to have been left out in this post is the accelerator pump in the carburetor. It provides that little extra squirt of gas when you press down on the pedal.

Posted on: 2020/10/28 2:39
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved