Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 218

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 21 »

Re: 1950 Packard 288 Auto overheating HELP
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Unless you want to buy an "off the shelf" rebuilt carburetor from Kanter or Max or the like, I've always subscribed to sending mine out for rebuilding, as long as it was a good core, to Daytona Parts who I believe based on a bit of experience is the by far the best in the business. They get about $475 for a total rebuild, including full cosmetics, for a 4 barrel. Obviously somewhat less for a 2-bbl.

Posted on: 2010/1/27 11:25
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is what the water distribution tube looks like, it's almost as long as the block.

Attach file:

jpg  (109.97 KB)
1_4b606fd735a89.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2010/1/27 11:54
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

otgdy
See User information
Guess I should have asked before getting involved with a local carb shop. Surely would have solved me a lot of $ and headaches. Wow thanks for the pic. I was looking at my engine last night trying to figure out what you guys were talking about. It was suggested that I look for bubbles in the radiator.. is this a sign of problems with water distribution tube? BTW I got the uv temp gun now the fun begins.
OTG

Posted on: 2010/1/28 7:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Looking for bubbles in the radiator is a diagnostic for a blown head gasket. There is usually a white-ish smoke coming from the tailpipe when the head gasket is leaking.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Some owners of these 22nd/23rd series Packard have fit electric fans in front of the radiator to provide air flow at slow speeds and while idling. The fan is controlled by a switch usually mounted under the instrument panel. These fans are available in 6-volt versions. They are not too difficult to install. They will cool down the engine.

Some owners also install an after market flex fan. These come in different sizes to fit a variety of applications. These fans will also increase air flow at low speeds and have less resistance to air flow at higher speeds. They too are readily available in the after market.

What temperature rating does your thermostat have? Usually, a 160F is recommended. Some owners have installed 180F thermostats only to replace them later. The 180F thermostats limit the operating temperature to a narrow range on the high side.

Have you double-checked your radiator cap? Make sure you have the type that fully seats/seals in the neck.

One more thing. Does your coolant circulate through the heater core, or do you have it shut-off? Circulation through the heater will give you a little more coolant capacity.

Good luck and let us know how you solve the problem.

(o {I} o)

Posted on: 2010/1/28 11:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike T
See User information
I think this was touched on in another thread a while back: Is there a big cooling benefit to making/modifying a custom fan shroud?

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not a significant benefit unless the fan is mounted at a considerable distance from the radiator. Typically the leading edge of fan blades should be 3/4 to 1-1/8 inch away from the core and in such a condition a shroud would not add significantly to the air flow.

Bottom line, probably won't help but can't hurt.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 15:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
For what it's worth, I had the same symptoms when I first got my '50 Custom (356, Ultramatic). At speed (35-55) the temperature gauge would hover just between midpoint and hot. While idling, it would creep rapidly towards hot.

My problem turned out to be a 180F thermostat that was not opening completely. I replaced it with a 160F NAPA thermostat ($6.87) and the temperature gauge has remained midpoint ever since even on hot, humid days.

I read that you replaced your thermostat, I don't suppose it's possible that your thermostat was installed backwards (upside-down)... it's been known to happen.

Posted on: 2010/1/28 21:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
There are a lot of bad thermostats around these days, that fail after a short time or are no good when new.

I have had one fail after a year or 2, then had to put in 2 or 3 more before I got a good one.

For a 1950 car you should use a 160 for summer, a 180 for winter and a 4 pound rad cap. Check your owner's manual or repair manual for details but that was the general rule for most cars.

You can test a thermostat by heating it in a pan of water with a thermometer. Do this while your wife is not home.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 0:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Do this while your wife is not home.

Good advice for a lot of things.

Posted on: 2010/1/29 0:58
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 21 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved