Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 229

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1923 Packard 2-4P vs 4p
Just popping in
Just popping in

Nick - Chicago
See User information
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and came here to get some information on a Packard my father is looking to buy.

The car is a 1923 Coupe, and from the pictures we've seen it appears to have fold-down seats in the front and a back seat. When we look at the NADA price guide, it only goes back to 1926. It also lists four different coupe models, a 2-4dr and a 4dr model in both Coupe and Custom. How can I find out which model this car is? Also, is there a good resource for figuring out the value of the car?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Nick

Posted on: 2009/4/23 12:56
 Top  Print   

Re: 1923 Packard 2-4P vs 4p
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It would be helpful in identification if you tell us how many cylinders, and what the wheelbase is. Also the motor number if you believe the engine to be original to the car. And the vehicle number which may appear on a brass "patent plate", probably on the inside of the cowl above the clutch and brake pedals. These details in identifying the model can have a significant effect on value, but condition is extremely important. How about pictures?

Plenty of value guides out there, take your pick, but remember that at best it only puts you in the ballpark, and a large one at that.

PS - let me elaborate. Though your car may have been titled as a 1923, Packard didn't build cars by calendar year until more than a decade later. Instead they built by "series", which could run only a few months, or more than a year. The possibilities for a car called a 1923 include the following, and as you might surmise, the range of values could be extreme, the Twin Six being the highest and the little 6 cyl being the most common and least valuable.

Twin Six (V12), 136 wheelbase
1st or 2nd series Six (6 cyl), 126 or 133 wheelbase
Eight (8 cyl), 136 or 143 wheelbase.

Each of these came in a wide variety of body styles, so to identify your car first we need to know # of cylinders and wheelbase, and any # information on the patent plate.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 13:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Nick.
Like to add my to PackardInfo. And, if your Dad buys the '23, could you please include it in the Owner Registry together with a pic, any known history and how it was acquired?

Posted on: 2009/4/23 14:59
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
Nick, there were two different styles of four and five passenger coupes built in the 1922-1925 era. Send a side view photo so the exact style can be determined. Also find the data plate and post the vehicle number. Same goes for the motor number. Jim P.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 21:35
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Nick - Chicago
See User information
Thanks for the info, guys. I only have a couple pics of the car, so hopefully they'll be helpful. I'm not close to the car, so I'm unable to provide any serial number or data plate details.

Thanks for any help,
Nick

Attach file:

jpg  (14.54 KB)
1474_49f49402383be.jpg 360X270 px

jpg  (12.02 KB)
1474_49f4940ee0f4c.jpg 360X270 px

Posted on: 2009/4/26 12:06
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bernie j
See User information
Small world! I have just bought a very similar 1923 Packard Single Six. Mine has had an even harder time than the one that your father is looking at. I am currently looking for photographs of the seating arrangement and interior trim. My car unfortunately had the roof cut off some years ago and was then left out in the open hence no seats or trim. It may be useful for us both to be able to compare notes. You could also have a look at the Fort Lauderdale Museum car on their website.

Bernie J

Posted on: 2010/8/22 7:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
It might be an earlier car than the one Guscha posted. The radiator looks like an earlier model, and the cowl seems straighter.

Posted on: 2010/8/22 14:05
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Nick - Chicago wrote:
Also, is there a good resource for figuring out the value of the car?

Nick

To answer your second question as to value: If you restore it, it will be worth about half as much as you have invested. If you need to know what to offer, I'd say about $5,000-$8,000.
That said, it looks like a great project car, as it looks very original and complete. I have to disagree with Tom, I think it looks exactly like the car in Ft. Lauderdale. The pin striping on the restored car may be what makes it look different in the cowl area.

Posted on: 2010/8/24 10:34
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

West Peterson wrote:

I have to disagree with Tom...

That's why I said 'might' ...

Posted on: 2010/8/24 12:39
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved