Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 94

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Monobloc 12
Home away from home
Home away from home

32model901
See User information
Anyone seen one lately?

Attach file:

jpg  (148.08 KB)
1584_4c41f3cac09aa.jpg 1280X924 px

Posted on: 2010/7/17 13:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Monobloc 12
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wasn't there an article in PAC magazine a few years ago about an experimental inline 12. Seem to recall it was a project favored by several in engineering but had quite a few issues finally deemed too expensive or insurmountable to consider production.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 13:28
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gizmolannigan
See User information
And you thought torsional rigidity problems on a straight 8 crankshaft were a concern. How long would that thing be???

Posted on: 2010/7/17 13:48
For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it?
Luke 14:28

Same for restoring cars too...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
torsional rigidity problems

Don't recall exactly which engine they used to provide the starting or engineering basis but I think you mentioned one of the main drawbacks found with the experiments. Believe there were others -- would have to dig out the article -- but think maybe weight and manufacturing difficulties for the time also

Posted on: 2010/7/17 13:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I recall in the article that it was seen in my hometown of Windsor Ontario at one point after being disposed of by PMC and then it disappeared again never to be seen. What a find that would be!

Posted on: 2010/7/17 14:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Robert Neal wrote an article about the inline 12 a few years back. Mr Neal sent me a copy of the article before it was published.

Without looking up the article the 12 was found to have a vibrational problem. After Packard was done testing the car one of the members of the Packard family obtain or purchased the car. The fellow drove it until he was killed in some type of crash which I believed involved an airplane crash. The car was then given back to Packard and destroyed.
The engine was put into a Packard Convertible Victoria Body designed by Dietrich.

Posted on: 2010/7/17 15:04
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A bit off topic, but tangental to it. I viewed a show on TV the other night about the world's largest freight ship. It has the largest diesel engine and the largest propeller. The engine is an in-line 14 cylinder affair. I guess with today's technology, engine design can overcome obstacles that once seemed unsolvable. That's all.

(o{I}o)

Posted on: 2010/7/17 18:32
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The engine was developed early in 1929 and was installed in a "standard" Dietrich-bodied convertible victoria. The body was pushed back on its chassis approximately 11 inches, but with its hood lengthened by seven inches, its cowl another four, and the firewall pushed back about six inches beyond the back of the hood, there was roughly 13 inches of space added under the hood with no lengthening of the 145-inch wheelbase.

It has been theorized that the bore x stroke of this engine was 3.5 x 5 inches, which would have given it a displacement of 577.2 cubic inches. Early testing revealed output to be 150hp at 3,000rpm with 373 lb-ft of torque at 800-900rpm. Horsepower is estimated to have improved to 160 after a split exhaust manifold was installed.

Development of the monoblock 12 was canceled in March 1929, but there is plenty of evidence that the project led to the development of Packard's 734 speedster of 1930, truly a factory-produced hot rod. Packard engineers created the same amount of horsepower as the 12 with a modified eight-cylinder engine using a single dual-throat Detroit Lubricator carburetor, larger exhaust valves, 45-degree exhaust manifold and a secondary fuel pump that made it the second most powerful eight-cylinder car offered in 1930, right behind the Duesenberg Model J (which has been argued to have been between 200-250hp in non-blown guise).

While Packard wasn't in real competition with Duesenberg, it was with cross-town rival Cadillac, which took the wind out of Packard's sails with the introduction of its 452cid/175hp V-16 powerplant. Some believe that Packard had intended to take the speedster to Le Mans, but no evidence of this has materialized.

The Packard monoblock 12 could be considered semi-successful, with a finished car being tested several times with vibration problems only noted at certain speeds. The orange and silver car was seen around Detroit in the hands of Warren Packard, but after his death in August of '29 the car was returned to the factory and its whereabouts today is unknown. The engine was supposedly scrapped.

Note the twin Johnson "R" updraft carburetors in the picture. Johnson "R" carburetors were installed on production 1929 Packard Eights, but the thin-wall die-cast bowls quickly developed cracks and Packard instructed its dealers to retrofit all of them with single-throat Detroit Lubricators free of charge. A pair of Detroits were also installed on the monoblock 12 sometime after the photo was taken.

Attach file:

jpg  (169.92 KB)
404_4c43182582911.jpg 1080X780 px

jpg  (100.19 KB)
404_4c431834e5240.jpg 1080X596 px

Posted on: 2010/7/18 10:05
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Is the Johnson "R" carburetor that West mentions the same as the "Packard" carburetor that was fitted to early 1929 cars? It was fitted to approximately 41% of the 626/633 cars and 51% of the 640/645 cars and preceded the Detroit Lubricator carburetors.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2010/7/18 17:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved