Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (31 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 40

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1924 226 6 cyl Resurrection - Oil and head question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

docgartner
See User information
I now am in possession of my father's former Packard. It has not run in 5 years. My goal is to get it running as it was before his health took him away from the car. I was told to remove spark plugs and put some motor oil into each cylinder. I'm good with that.

Might there be any maintenance I should consider for the spark plugs? The distributor/points?

On top of the head are chrome cups on 1/4 turn valves. To where do these give access to? How would one use them?

Thanks, and more questions to come. I have LOTS to learn.

Seth Gartner
Charlotte, NC

Posted on: 2013/8/22 19:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 1924 226 6 cyl Resurrection - Oil and head question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Doc:

There is some good literature right here.

There is a 28 owner's manual that you can down load and read.

Drain the gas tank, drain and check over the coolant, change the oil.

Those cups can get sticky and break but if they are free you can pour a little light oil in the cylinders and crank the motor over until the oil pressure gets to the bearings. Otherwise remove spark plugs for same.

Next you can fill the vacuum tank on the firewall with gas, tickle the carburetor and crank it over to start. Be careful about the filler plug. If the metal is corroded then leave it alone, and tighten only snug. There is a gas cock under the tank that needs to be opened.

If the car is pre-vacuum tank there is a pump to pressurize the gas tank. It needs to lubed with neetsfoot oil.

You can check for spark, but if it is MAG there are no points to worry about.

The car is pretty much bullet proof.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 22:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Seth,

In this prior thread there was a link to a thread on the PAC Website. Have you followed through with the recommendations there? Is so you should be in a good position to get your Packard up and running.

The chrome cups are priming cups. You fill each of them with fuel open the valves allowing fuel to directly enter each cylinder then close the valves and start the car. Useful if a car has been sitting for a while.

Posted on: 2013/8/22 22:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

docgartner
See User information
Thanks for the info and ideas. The PAC website info is in hand as well.

I was not sure if the priming cups went into the cylinder or above the valves. We'll see if they work when I get to that point...

The gas tank is dry. Would there be any practical way of knowing if it needs cleaned from varnish before adding gasoline? Some sort of flush?

Again, with thanks ..

Seth

Posted on: 2013/8/23 6:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved