Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
54 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 53

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'39 Packard Six - seeking piston ring and spark plug data
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

greybeard
See User information
Performed a dry and wet compression test on my Six with a pronounced smoky exhaust issue at the request of my mechanic. To my knowledge, the engine is the 4 liter inline flathead six. Dry test - cylinders 1-4 read 110psi, #5 reads 105psi, and #6 reads 80psi. The wet test on 5 and 6 gave me 110psi and 90psi, respectively. I would like to acquire piston rings, but have learned from experience that not all retailers know which parts are correct for this engine. Additionally, I purchased replacement spark plugs based on what the owner's manual (I have one that looks original, came with the car, on the front cover stating "For cars beginning engine B-1501") spec'd - AC-103 or Champion Y-4. Auto Zone had a "match" for the 103's in Autolite brand, but they physically would not screw into the spark plug holes in the engine block. I discovered the plugs that are in use are Champion UY-6. Which leads me to wonder several things; why the mismatch, is the engine perhaps not the original one, and will my search for piston rings, and other items I intend to acquire for a tune-up or repair, be influenced by this mystery. The engine serial/ID number is 23870A. Who is a reputable retailer to acquire piston rings and other perhaps Packard-specific repair and tune-up items from? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Posted on: Today 14:08
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 Packard Six - seeking piston ring and spark plug data
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Before buying pistons you would need to ascertain whether the engine has been rebuilt in the past and possibly rebored so that you know what size to get. As for source, I have Egge in my 1954 Patrician along with their pistons but those were put in decades ago.

Posted on: Today 14:45
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 Packard Six - seeking piston ring and spark plug data
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Has this engine run much in recent times? That compression doesn't sound too bad. Is the gasoline fresh?

Posted on: Today 17:46
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved