Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
270 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 265

PackardSanta, Bob DuKatz, R H, kevinpackard, greybeard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1928 rear drums
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
does anyone have any leads on what type of drum puller will work on the 526- my puller for the later models is to small for the 8 bolts in the larger pattern. thanks dell

Posted on: 2013/3/30 19:53

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1928 rear drums
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've used this one on 6 and 8 lug wheels, a very deep throat and up to 8 lug straps can be used. But I can't help with where to find one, probably look to borrow one from a shop that specializes in restoration of early Classics.

Attach file:

jpg  (81.60 KB)
177_5157b4623dda0.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/3/30 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
The pullers that I have used for the 1920's Packard rear hubs screw onto the hub cap thread with a split skirt and are then clamped tight once the puller is fully screwed on. The centre bolt then bears on the end of the axle. Some heat on the hub &/or hitting the centre bolt may also be necessary

Posted on: 2013/3/31 1:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Tried to attach a photo of the puller, hope it works.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.69 KB)
579_5157dbec3e32c.jpg 480X360 px

Posted on: 2013/3/31 1:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
I had a local machine shop make me a puller like DavidM's for the 30. About $90, but I don't have to worry about screwing up the finish on wheels. I took them the aluminum hubcap to get the hub thread pitch and diameter.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a photo of the puller. Essentially it is round stock, machined to fit the hub on one end and threaded for 3/4" all thread on the other. The end of the all thread that goes to the axle shaft is machined with a dimple to self center on the shaft. The other end has a 1" nut welded to it.

It works very well.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/3/31 9:55
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Dell:

I never had a situation where the puller wouldn't fit, but supposedly if you back off the axle nuts and reinstall the cotter pin, the drums will break free during a drive around the block.

That is also an approved method for breaking wheels loose on trucks.

Posted on: 2013/3/31 14:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
hi tim; thanks for the reply, i know that trick, but as i have the car on my two post with no engine and no wheels i can't use it. i am cleaning the frame to repaint it and thought it would be a good time to repack the wheel bearings. i think i will some of the members in my region that have early cars and see if they have a puller. thanks again for the suggestion and also a thanks to all for the pictures. dell

Posted on: 2013/3/31 15:44

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Jim Balfour had some of the threaded pullers made a few years back. Might check with him to see if any are still available.

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2013/4/7 10:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
thanks jim; do you have any contact info for mr. balfour. dell

Posted on: 2013/4/8 9:05

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm baffled on this one, I don't understand why the conventional type drum puller doesn't apply here, it can apply more force than the type that screws on the end of the drum. Nevertheless, I speak with Mr. Balfour regularly, you can reach him at 269-424-5768.

Why is it that the conventional type can't be used? Here's one just dummied up on an early Packard 6-lug wheel; if I had to do an 8-lug wheel I'd probably borrow a 4th leg to even the force - the legs from Herbrand and Proto and probably many of the clones interchange. As you might be able to see, there's plenty of room for the legs to accommodate a larger bolt circle. If you look at the ears on mine, you can judge that it's removed some might stubborn drums over the years.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.50 KB)
177_5162d28cdaa71.jpg 1280X1151 px

Posted on: 2013/4/8 9:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved