Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
308 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 307

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

horn wire size
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
What size wire is used for the wires that go from the relay to the horns on a 47 clipper?

Thanks

Posted on: 2013/10/16 18:14
 Top  Print   

Re: horn wire size
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't find those wires listed. Later 6v charts said they used 12 for the battery feed to the relay running both horns. When I did mine, comparing 12 vs what was originally entering the horns, I thought 14 looked more like what they used for that 10 or so inch run. I went with that.

Posted on: 2013/10/16 18:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mark - My 115C uses a 12 gauge from the battery feed to the relay and a larger gauge from the relay to the horns. I am guessing 10 gauge. 47 may be different.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/10/16 21:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you know the current draw of the horns and the length of wire run, this chart will give you the answer.

Attach file:

jpg  (146.59 KB)
177_525f5e6e8d53d.jpg 1280X1166 px

Posted on: 2013/10/16 22:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 21st Series wiring diagram in Vol. 19 No. 10 of the Service Counselor shows the feed from the starter motor terminal to the horn relay as 12 Ga. (Wire No. 21)

The wire from the relay to the horns is not numbered, but best guess is that it would be 12 Ga. as well.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 1:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
I would not worry to much about the wire size-16 should be ok as the horn is short time rated. I would suggest concern about the insulation-should be 100c or better as it is in the engine compartment.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
If you don't know the amp draw, you can estimate from the connector/terminal post size, or measure the wire diam and refer to a chart like,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge
Older wires tend to be a bit larger than new, as copper has risen they cheat on the wire. So up sizing Ga when buying new wire maybe needed.
My (49) horns have a second insulating sheath over the wires as the pass the radiator.
I'm not worried about 100 pts, but don't want a melt down after all that work for a few dollars in copper. The horn relay(batt) was fed off the generator and that was 10 ga, and the horn circuit I used 12 ga. and it fit the horn button contact connector.
There are charts for max amperage vs ga also.
Just remember 6V takes twice the amps as 12V. Amps go by diam(area), Distance corrects for wire resistance.

Posted on: 2013/10/17 11:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved