Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
179 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 177

Automaton, Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Availability of parts for restoration
Just popping in
Just popping in

Stephen Oxby
See User information
I am considering purchasing a 1946 clipper that is in very good condition for its age but I am wondering how available parts are for restoration of these models. This will be a first project car for my son and I. The car we are buying drives but could use some work for reliability and needs some cosmetic work. Thanks for any advice for a noob.

Posted on: 9/15 22:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Availability of parts for restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
I'm a bit confused that you say it's in "very good condition" but you are wondering about parts for "restoration"? I assume it's aesthetically pretty nice but hasn't been on the road a whole lot. In that case, all mechanical parts are readily available at decent prices, with only some exceptions.

Aesthetic parts for these cars are simply not reproduced to any major degree and NOS is extremely rare and expensive. Not like fixing up an old Chevy Blazer. Any work will be very expensive and I highly recommend buying a car which is aesthetically to your liking. Does NOT need to be perfect, or even near so, as long as you are pretty happy with it.

You must note that 1946 is an unusual year with low survivorship, so while these are pretty similar to the 42 and 47 models, some parts may be a little harder to find.

Please post some photos or a link if you are looking at an online ad. We will be able to give you some very good advice if we have additional detail.

Posted on: 9/15 22:32
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Stephen Oxby
See User information
Thanks Humanpotatohybred. I have been spending some time reading through some other posts and feel encouraged. The car I am looking at is very sound structurally. The body looks amazing, straight and in tact. All of the chrome parts are in tact but a little weathered.. From what you have said and what I am reading from other posts, parts for mechanical repairs and tuning are somewhat available.I am excited to take on this project. If I am able to purchase this car, I will post pictures soon.
I appreciate the advice.

Posted on: 9/15 23:08
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Stephen Oxby,
to PackardInfo.

When, not if, you buy the '46 Clipper, I invite you to include it in PackardInfo's Packard Vehicle Registry.

May you and your son spend many happy hours Packarding.

Posted on: 9/16 1:42
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Stephen, there are a dozen long-established national parts sources for your car, which is identical in every respect to 1947, regardless model, and 99.2% same as '42, so have no idea what HumanPot is posting: "....so while these are pretty similar to the 42 and 47 models, some parts may be a little harder to find."

Have owned a senior model since 1986.

Parts for any 1942-47 Packard are no rarer than for a 1942-47 anything. You're buying a used car. Treat it as such. Be hard-nosed, practical. You follow the 1946-50 Packard Shop Manual, just as you'd follow a Ford, Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, Chrysler, Hudson, etc. shop manual. This book is reproduced and available here. See the Main Menu, inc. Directory. Many owning the same model, whatever yours is and you might post the VIN or serial number, a photo, to help them help you.

It's not complicated. It's just another old car. Look below the dash to the immediate right of the steering column. If there is no knob, that means the car you are considering does not have the optional overdrive. It will be a turkey. Walk away. If the engine needs no work, the body requires "only" paint, no body work or rust repair, if the interior is mint original, you might still buy it if you can get it for next to nothing. The audience for all old cars is vanishing by the day, meaning you can get an already restored example for a song.

If this example needs little more than rigorous cleaning, polishing, Jeff Adkins, Moose Motors, Penngrove (Petaluma) has all overdrive parts. Get an R-11, which came out late '48 through 1954. Slightly simplified, more plentiful, so cheaper than the 1940-early '48 R-9. Jeff also has all mechanical and electrical parts for the '46 you're pondering: (707) 792-9985, packardguy54@sbcglobal.net

Mike Grimes, Merritt Packard, outside Indianapolis, has the above and all else, including cosmetic bits: (317) 736-6233 ext. 103, mike@packardparts.com. www.packardparts.com

These two long established, respected vendors alone can get you rolling. Please tell them Mike, '47 Super Clipper, Walnut Creek, CA referred you.

Posted on: 9/16 4:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
42 and 47 are also rarer years, is what I meant.

Posted on: 9/16 7:45
1955 400 | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Deluxe | Registry | Project Blog
1955 Clipper Super Panama | Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

53 Cavalier
See User information
I think you'll be fine for parts. Not much available at your local parts store, but some things are!

As mentioned there are some very good suppliers and many items are very rebuildable, such as starters, generators, distributors, etc.

You'll have no problem making your car road worthy and reliable, and you guys will have fun doing it! I'm guessing the plan is to do the work yourselves? There are lots of resources, such as this forum, all the manuals on this site, FB, YouTube, etc.

Give the car a good going over to make sure you pay a fair price, and it to try to minimize any surprises after. Post some pics if you want opinions................there are lots and they're all free!

Posted on: 9/16 9:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved