Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 216

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Cycle-Car windscreens
Just popping in
Just popping in

Cycle-Car
See User information
Can anyone recommend a fabricator who could make replacement plexiglass windscreens for the Cycle-Car? The originals were from Indian motorcycles and were extremely rare. I've contacted all the Indian parts dealers, but this type no longer exists.

They're blue, with clear piping on the edge, and has the Indian logo etched into the bottom.

Plan B is to get a modern windscreen - there are some that fit a Harley that might be close.

Thanks--

Mark

Attach file:

jpg  (197.90 KB)
4839_5040f60b91337.jpg 1280X857 px

Posted on: 2012/8/31 12:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Cycle-Car windscreens
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Somewhere, recently, I was reading about vintage motorcycles. The comment was a person could build a new vintage bike with all new replica parts out of catalogs. Something like is commonly being done with new hot rods based on Ford Model As and Duces. An InterWeb search on the Google may turn up a source. Great to see you are taking such good care of the Cycle Car. It is an important piece of automotive history. Good luck.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/31 16:58
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
JW wrote:Somewhere, recently, I was reading about vintage motorcycles. The comment was a person could build a new vintage bike with all new replica parts out of catalogs. Something like is commonly being done with new hot rods based on Ford Model As and Duces...
John

I think I remember that it was Keith, PackardV8, who made that comment in a recent post. And, in particular, also referenced Indian motor cycles on the same subject. If so, he may be able to comment?

Posted on: 2012/9/1 1:56
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
John (JW):Quote:
...The comment was a person could build a new vintage bike with all new replica parts out of catalogs...

Mal (half Frenchman):Quote:

I think I remember that it was Keith ...

Keith (IndianV8): Quote:
...I can build a COMPLETE 53 Indian Chief out of a vendors cataloug with ALL NEW PARTS rite down to the accessories and and castings with an OD trans and an engine that will outlast anything that came out of Springfield 1901-1953 and u can't tell the bike apart from an original...[posted on: 8/30]

Keith, herewith we proudly present Mark (Cycle-Car) as a new customer. Don't forget the commissions for the initiators.
Mark, go --> this way to e-mail or PM him.

[picture source: www.fathertheo.files.wordpress.com]

Attach file:

jpg  (49.70 KB)
757_5041e63ea44fb.jpg 550X442 px

Posted on: 2012/9/1 4:58
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Try Starklite.com or Kiwiindian.com or JeeryGreerEngineering.com

THose are the "big 3" Indian dealers. There are several others. Some of the more rare accessories have not been reproduced. Some have.

Also try post yoour request at VirtualIndian@yahoogroups.com

It is the formemost mail-list discussion group about Indian motorcycles much like PackardInfo.com is to Packard. U'll have to join the mailing list but it is free. Alot of very knowledgable people there and many world-wide. Indian sidecars COMPLETE are now reproduced in Poland for about $7K US. So there ought to be someone at the VI list that can help.

As for the windshield. Try to find a plexiglass supplier in yoour area. Of course specialty materials stores are becomming more and more sparse.

I rebuilt a Buco windshield some 20 years ago from plexiglass. I was able to remove piping around the outer eedge with out destroying it. Havn't tried to buy any plexiglass recently tho.

Altho your particular windshield has the Indian logo it was most likely made by Buco for Indian.

My first effort would be to join the VirtualIndian mailing list discussion group. Everyone will enjoy your efforts to restore the Cycle-Car. Most likely the VI group is where u will get the best leads.

Mite also try www.dennis-carpenter.com/cushman.php he is a very prominant Cushman dealer.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 5:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I posted a link to this thread at VI list. But u really should join the VI list for more help and info about the Cycle-car. Everyone will like it.

Posted on: 2012/9/1 6:23
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mark, as a side note, cylinders and especially cylinder heads of the above pictured Cycle-Car look like aircooled two-strokers. Is your Cycle-Car a two-cycle car? Probably not. Less known is that after the WWII Indian sold motorbikes, driven by Czech two-stroke engines.

Click to see original Image in a new window

[picture source: www.quido.cz]

Posted on: 2012/9/1 12:20
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Cycle-Car
See User information
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

The Cycle-Car's engine is a V-2, 500 cc that's rated at 15 hp. This engine was built for the military model Indian 741-B cycle used in WW2. Dad bought the engine from NOS at a military surplus store in Detroit. It's 4-cycle, with a dry sump and an oil tank. You can see the tank in the photo to the right of the engine.

I didn't know that they imported 2-cycle engines/cycles from Europe after the war. If you travel to Springfield, MA, on Google Earth, you'll find that about 2/3 of the Indian factory still exists and appears to be in good condition.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 8:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
QUote:
"Dad bought the engine from NOS at a military surplus store in Detroit. "

Silversteins on 8 mile road?????? Not sure if Silversteins is still there or not but i bought alot of surplus from them for many years when i lived in the Detroit area. Probably the greatest shopping i've ever experienced anywhere in my life. Even bought a few cloths from them. I sure do miss it. Such a deal.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 8:58
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Cycle-Car
See User information
Yes, Silverstein's. We used to go there once in a while when I was a kid, but that was long after he built the Cycle-Car. I suspect that the windscreens came from there as well. Wasn't some of their store in tents?

Posted on: 2012/9/5 9:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved