Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
123 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 122

Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1928 Packard 6cylinder
Just popping in
Just popping in

stockguy8
See User information
Hello, I have a friend's 1928 in my barn and I am trying to get it running for him. I'm a rookie at this so I could sure use some help. It hasn't run in about 20 years. When I crank it over it doesn't want to fire at all and has power to the distributor but I can't seem to see any spark when I lay a spark plug on the head. Also it isn't drawing any fuel from the tank so I have been putting fuel directly into the carb with a plastic line and squirt bottle just to see if it will fire? It seems as though the vaccum canister isn't working??
Any suggestions on how I should proceed??? Thanks?

Posted on: 2015/6/2 8:59
 Top  Print   

Re: 1928 Packard 6cylinder
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, with no spark at the plugs it's not going to start regardless of what you do with fuel. You need a running engine to provide the vacuum for the S-W tank to refill. The gas that was in it evaporated years ago but you can manually refill the tank to provide a gasoline supply. But you'll need to solve your ignition problem first - I'd start with new (or at least burnished and cleaned) points, new condenser, and do a temporary connection with a known-good ignition coil and power the coil directly to the battery rather than going thru the ignition switch just to eliminate that as a possible issue.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 10:06
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

stockguy8
See User information
Thanks, I'm not at the car now but as I think about it I don't remember seeing a coil??? Where is the coil on that engine?

Posted on: 2015/6/2 10:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Where is the coil on that engine?

The coil location may no longer be in the original location, just follow the center high tension wire in the distributor cap back to the coil.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 10:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I believe it's supposed to be right behind the ignition switch... actually attached to the ignition switch.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 11:29
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

stockguy8
See User information
Thanks Again! No wonder I didn't remember seeing it? I had the whole ignition switch out of it because my friend lost the key. So you are saying the coil is likely under the dash inside the car? near the ignition switch? Sorry for my lack of knowledge, like I said I'm a rookie! :)

Posted on: 2015/6/2 11:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
In an attempt to make it difficult to "hot wire" a car, many makes either directly connected the coil to the ignition switch, or connected them with a wire inside a tamper-proof steel shield; this was typical construction thru the just postwar era. Coils do fail and that's why I suggested temporarily installing a universal 6-volt coil and hot wiring it, just to eliminate the old coil and/or switch as a source of possible problem.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 12:16
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

stockguy8
See User information
When I was under the dash removing the ignition switch and reinstalling it I didn't notice anything that resembled a coil? When I get home from work tonight I will do more checking and see what i can come up with! Thanks Again! I 'll let you know tomorrow what I come up with? Hopefully some spark!

Posted on: 2015/6/2 14:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day stockguy8,
to PackardInfo.

What are the chances of your friend permitting inclusion of his '28 6 cylinder Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry?

Posted on: 2015/6/2 15:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
When I was under the dash removing the ignition switch and reinstalling it I didn't notice anything that resembled a coil?

That's exactly why I suggested following the center wire on the distributor cap to find the coil. The coil/switch assemblies are not easy to service or find replacements for and hence many "repairs" relocated the coils elsewhere to save the cost of doing it correctly.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 17:16
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved