Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
337 user(s) are online (234 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 336

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Hill Holder for BW OD Cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Saw this on the Jalopy Journal's H.A.M.B. Thought folks here would enjoy reading it, but probably not doing it.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (10.46 KB)
565_558dcb2344a52.jpg 199X300 px

Posted on: 2015/6/26 16:59
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Hill Holder for BW OD Cars
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A hill-holder device was an reasonably common option for a number of years on many makes, Studebaker was particularly prominent in promoting it. IIRC Packard called in No-Roll or maybe No-Rol.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 17:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm still trying to figure out how the version in the mag article is supposed to work. There doesn't appear to be any thing connected to the brakes like the fluid trapping hill holder option O_D refers to. It appears all they are doing in that writeup is bypassing the governor and energizing the OD solenoid directly via a toggle switch so the OD engagement is manually controlled for the 6 forward speeds and freewheeling capability the article touts. I wasn't aware that BW ODs had any hill holding functionality unless it was something unique to the Ford they show in the photo.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 17:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That setup looks like something a hillbilly would do.

The OD has a reverse lockout because if you try to roll the thing backward in overdrive the unit locks up. So what this knucklehead did was override the lockout.

If he ever forgot it while in reverse his overdrive would strip out.

Posted on: 2015/6/27 7:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I' not able to enlarge the article so i can not read it.

I'm Guessing:
The "reverse Lockout" would (or should) only block the transmission INTERNAL shifting mechanism to keep the driver from shifting into reverse.

Also, what difference would it make to operate in reverse and OD or reverse and OD NOT engaged???? No difference other than driver connvenience or less clutch precision.

Posted on: 2015/6/27 12:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a link to the original article so you an read it. Since it was published in 54 they must refer to the R10 or 11 units.

The article does mention you cannot have OD and reverse engaged and to remember to disengage the solenoid if going into reverse. There is mechanical linkage which should also force the OD to disengage to prevent reverse and OD at the same time.

R11s were of different mechanical construction from the R9s and much more forgiving if something happened and the prevention didn't work. Packards early or mid 22nd series R9 replacement and making retrofit kits available using the R11 was in large part due to the reverse problem. In the R9, if OD solenoid was somehow energized and OD was engaged when reverse was selected the OD would lock up. There could even be physical damage if enough power was applied trying to move the car while the OD was locked.

Call me dense but I still don't see how an OD such as Packard used will function as a hill holder which to me would be something that prevent the car from rolling backward when on an incline.

Posted on: 2015/6/27 13:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Call me dense...

Howard, I would comply with almost every of your wishes but dense? Nothing could be further from the truth.
Today I don't have time for a deep research but here comes, what looks like a first track. Wikipedia says,

"...The mechanism was available in American car parts stores so that car owners could add to their vehicle to improve it from the late 1930s through the 1950s. But it required that the car have hydraulic brakes, so it could not be added to Ford Motor Company products before 1939. In 1949 it became available on factory-built Fords...."

The same source knows

"... It was first introduced in 1936 as an option for the Studebaker President. By 1937 the device, called "NoRoL" by Bendix, was available on Hudson, Nash and many other cars..."

Below it looks as if the pressed clutch pedal holds the pressed brake to release one foot for stepping on the gas. I would call it check valve with foot-operated shut-off feature.

Advertising source: Popular Mechanics October 1939 Click to enlarge!

Attach file:

jpg  (157.47 KB)
757_558f24d12d12b.jpg 1128X830 px

jpg  (29.86 KB)
757_558f282cbd93a.jpg 500X275 px

Posted on: 2015/6/27 17:34
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes, that one is the unit Packard used which O_D referred to and one I am familiar with. Basically it fits onto the master cylinder and has a small ball in a cage. When on an incline the ball rolls back and blocks a port preventing fluid from returning to the master. The brakes stay applied when you let your foot off the brake pedal. The cage is connected to the clutch linkage via a lever and rod. The rod is adjusted so when the clutch starts being released, at approx the same time the clutch starts to grab the cage moves the ball away from the port so fluid can return and release the brakes.

The part of the original post I don't understand is how anything calling itself a hill holder works similar to the way the brake unit works but can be accomplished in the type OD unit Packard used.

Posted on: 2015/6/27 17:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
I see.
Here comes a second attempt. The first sentences of the -> linked patent specification of the 1960's refers to the former system.

Posted on: 2015/6/27 18:07
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The Borg-Warner overdrive does not use gears for direct drive. It uses a sprag which locks the annulus gear to transmission speed.

Overdrive is engaged when the solenoid acts on a dog clutch that holds the sun gear stationary. With the sun gear held stationary the carrier pinions react with the sun gear to spin the annulus faster than the carrier thus allowing the sprag to free wheel.

In reverse with overdrive engaged the sprag will engage to provide direct drive at the same time the carrier pinions are trying to drive the annulus at a faster rate. Since you can't be in two ratios simultaneously the unit will lock up.

How do I know this? Once I was working on a Model 30 brass car with a BW overdrive. They had a quill shaft in place of the transmission mainshaft. When I held the dog clutch in overdrive on the bench I couldn't turn the thing backwards.

That is the operating principle of the hillbilly hill holder.

I suppose you could make a jackass video like this: Run a jumper wire to the overdrive relay bypassing the reverse lockout switch. Next get the car going 25 mph in reverse, put it in neutral, and release the accelerator. The wheels should lock up and blow the transmission.

Posted on: 2015/6/27 20:41
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved