Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 76

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

City Council conders fate of Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
City considers fate of old Packards & old Packard dealer in downtown Lawrence.

"Fifteen deteriorating Packard automobiles are in a partially fenced backyard at 1106 Rhode Island, just east of the Judicial and Law Enforcement Center. City commissioners Tuesday started the process of declaring the property at 1106 Rhode Island unsafe and in need of demolition.

The Packard brand of automobiles has been extinct since the mid-1950s, and now Lawrence city commissioners are being asked to put an end to perhaps their largest Lawrence resting grounds as well.

City commissioners at their meeting on Tuesday will start the process of declaring the property at 1106 Rhode Island unsafe and in need of demolition.

"The property presents itself pretty much as a junk yard," said Brian Jimenez, the city's code enforcement manager. "There is really no other way to describe it."

Fans of the late Packard automobiles -- big boats of a
machine that once were among the most luxurious of American autos -- might see the site as a rare opportunity. The property, which is just east of the Judicial and Law Enforcement Center, has 15 deteriorating Packard automobiles in its overgrown, partially fenced backyard.

"I'm not a car guy, but I think they probably still have some value to collectors," said Jimenez.

If not, they at least still have a story. An old garage on the property still has the sign of "University Motors," which research shows began serving as the city's Packard dealership in the mid-1940s.

The property is owned by the estate of Raymond Barland. According to a 2004 obituary for Barland, he and his brothers Delmar and Leroy started University Motors in 1947. Old phone books indicate the dealership was in the 700 block of New Hampshire Street into the 1960s."

The rest of the article is here:

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2012/mar/12/city-considers-fate-packard-graveyard-middle-lawre/

Attach file:

jpg  (53.15 KB)
633_4f601c447230a.jpg 640X424 px

Posted on: 2012/3/13 23:11
 Top  Print   

Re: City Council conders fate of Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

oregonstan
See User information
That's a lot of parts that people could use to continue to have their Packards on the road. That would be such a waste to have it just disappear.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 0:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike O'Handley
See User information
Personally, I'd be more interested in what's in the parts room in that building back there.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 4:15
Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington
hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Yeah, I wouldn't mind taking a peek in the buildings to see what might be floating around from the Packard Dealership.

The cars look pretty sad. Parts cars for sure. Maybe a few could be saved.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 11:10
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Surprised none of the vendors hasn't swooped in yet to pick the carcass clean.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 11:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
From what I've read from other posts, a family dispute has been preventing the disposition of the cars and property. It is a shame that the family can't simply agree to sell the cars and property and simply fight over the proceeds. While the in-fighting goes on, the cars sitting outside continue to deteriorate. What a shame.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 14:10
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Of course they think they are sitting on a gold mine.

Those are scrap vehicles and if the dweliing is loaded with termites (very common in old New England) then, it doesn't matter if Washington's Mistress lived there, it will be razed.

The city need only condemn the property for the whole lot to be towed away and the building bulldozed.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 18:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
This is Lawrence, Kansas correct?? Pretty sad.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 19:56
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
That's as sad as hearing about the demolition permits being issued for the Packard Factory...makes me nauseated.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 19:59
 Top  Print   

Re: City Council considers fate of Packards
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
The majority of the Packard factory in Detroit is in pretty sad shape from photographs that I've seen over the past two years. While it is sad to see it come down, there really isn't any other alternative since the buildings are so far gone.

As for the family in Kansas with the parked and rusty Packards, God knows what they are arguing about but the value of those vehicles declines with each passing day and additional rusticle that forms.

Posted on: 2012/3/14 20:08
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved