Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
285 user(s) are online (220 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 284

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Idiot's First Packard: 51' 200 Ultramatic Coupe
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

chocobo9x
See User information
Can't make out what distributor I have - trying to figure out what cap i need to order and that matters apparently, any of you smart folk able to tell me what i got or need to get?
Click to see original Image in a new window

looking at the paint code and the ditzler sheet for those years looks like it should be the lighter turquoise blue color so probably correct paint, not that i am a stickler for that.

Posted on: 6/11 0:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
First, know what year and series your car is. You can use the Decoder on the left. You have a 1951 which is the 24th Series.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/decoder/index.php

Then on the left go Factory Parts List, 1948–54 Part Plates (these are the diagrams), then Electrical, then find the 24th Series distributor. Here:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewplate.php?cat=19&PlateNumber=74&partslist=1948-1954

You need to click the group number (the 4.03001) to itemize the parts in that group:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/viewgroup.php?partslist=1948-1954&groupnumber=4.03001&PlateNumber=74&cat=19#resultanchor

Read through these results carefully. You will note that some are dependent on body number. But fortunately for you all 24th Series use the same distributor part:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/partslist/index.php?mode=partnumber&SearchValue=416206&ButtonLookup=Go

Now go to the parts cross reference on the side. Search for your part application and if it says it fits a 1951 (24th Series) you know it should work. Some of the entries are cross referenced by Packard part number directly.
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/parts/index.php?cat=19&catname=ELECTRICAL

Posted on: 6/11 5:58
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You have a Delco Remy dizzy. The following #s are all NAPA

points CS777A
condensor RR174
rotor RR99
cap RR100

Posted on: 6/11 6:28
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

chocobo9x
See User information
Thank you both, that's very helpful!

Posted on: 6/11 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
You're welcome, and what I neglected to mention is on a car this old you need some way of verifying what you even have. Factory is AutoLite and you have Delco. Not a problem but the parts won't match.

I like to check the parts book first to get an idea of what should be there, then go check. Though the only time this really happens is engine accessories, e.g. distributor, generator, starter, carburetor, whatever. Most of the other parts on the car are unlikely to be swapped. In any case, if you open the unit for inspection or read the data plate on it, usually it's clear whether it's the same or not.

P.S. If you use some rubbing alcohol on that tag it might clean up better.

P.P.S. Does your engine serial match the car serial?https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2727

Posted on: 6/11 9:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I hesitated trying to answer when I saw the photo of a distributor that was totally different than the one in my 1951 which is the type where the vacuum advance rotates the entire body and not just the plate inside. Parts for mine seem harder to find locally so if yours is different, it should be easier but you really need to take your old points with you and it would really help to try to get the number off the distributor by gently cleaning the identification plate. Maybe some fine steel wool would do the trick.

Posted on: 6/11 11:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
That looks like my Autolite distributor. Distributor body does not rotate, has octane selector that resembles Delco advance mechanism. ID tag looks to be painted over...

Posted on: 6/11 12:26
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

chocobo9x
See User information
cleaned more on the distributor - seems like there was paper of some kind or a protective sticker on the label that came off with some cleaner spray

got a decent pick of the engine number:

but looking on the top bits i noticed this numbering:

the engine number seems to be for the right year/model but not sure why it says 327 up top, but my sample size of one ain't much to go on.

Posted on: 6/11 19:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Yes, I forgot the numbers matching started in 1955.

You have a 288 block which someone apparently threw a 327 head on to... lower the CR? Unless I'm reading the chart wrong, but I'm pretty sure a 327 head would be larger than a 288 and thus lower the CR.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=27771&post_id=266406#forumpost266406

Posted on: 6/11 20:09
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

chocobo9x
See User information
I bet it was swapped out so someone else could have the much higher compression since it was the 288 auto head, going by that chart would give the better compression to the bigger blocks.

Posted on: 6/11 20:18
 Top  Print   
Laugh (1)

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved