Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

How does one remove seats from 1949 Packard???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
I am the proud owner of a 1949 4 door Packard. For now I live in Mexico, but my car lives in a storage facility in the states. I can have the seats, in fact the entire interior done in leather in Mexico for a price that equals a good dinner for 6 in the states! My question is "How does one take the front and rear seats out of the 1949 Packard??? This forum is the best ever for Packard lovers. Sincerely, Juan of Guanajuato, Guanajuato, Mexico. P. S. our part of Mexico is safe and the people are just great!!! Sure there are big problems here, but big problems are every where, but there are good people every where as well--just look with a smile on your face and a willingness to know other cultures.

Posted on: 2010/7/4 12:26
 Top  Print   

Re: How does one remove seats from 1949 Packard???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Front and rear bottom cushions are removeable by pushing hard on the front of the cushion above the top of the solid seat frame and lifting the front end up. The back cushions are retained by two bolts through metal brackets at the bottom of the cushion and a metal bracket at the top. Once these are removed the cushions can be lowered to free the top bracket and then lifted out by pulling forward on the bottom end. Pretty straight forward and once the bottom cushions are removed you will find the bolts.

Posted on: 2010/7/4 12:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If you need to remove the entire front seat assembly to have the upholstery re-done on the back of the front seat, the assembly is held onto the sliders by three nuts on each side.

It is a two person job to remove from the car.

Attach file:

jpg  (11.75 KB)
188_4c30e4137978c.jpg 360X235 px

Posted on: 2010/7/4 14:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
zougeride wrote: I am the proud owner of a 1949 4 door Packard...........
G'day zougeride,
to PackardInfo. I invite you to include your '49 in the Packard Owner's Registry here, together with a pic, any known history and how you acquired it?
EDIT -
Kev, I notice that for our new member zougeride, the information boxes in his intial post above, shows zero posts. Of course this could change if he posts again so I don't know whether this anomaly can be tracked and fixed.

Posted on: 2010/7/4 15:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Dave, Thank you for the information on seat removal. I will follow it. While down here in the mountains of Central Mexico I keep a weather eye out for forgotten Packards, but I have not found any as of yet. Again, thanks for the information.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 7:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
JD, Thanks for the information and clearly illustrated photo of seat removal for my 1949 Packard. I think I will jack up the car and remove the four bolts holding the entire seat assembly in the car. In that manner I can place the seat into my van for the trip back to Guanajuato. Also the guy doing the upholstery for me can place it on his work table with out danger of it tipping over. Again, very kind of you to include a photo. JGTO=Juan of Guanajuato.

Posted on: 2010/7/5 7:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Dear ozstatman, I will certainly register my '49 4 dr. Green Packard when I go up to the states to have my doctors remove some more large lumps from my wallet. I found this wonderful car at a charity auction for a local charter school in Houston, Texas.

Dozens of cars from the 60's through the 80's blocked the last row of very tired from view. On that last row was the Packard.

I sized up my competitors and concluded they were way below my age bracket and might no even know the definition of the word Packard let alone ever seen one. I was right! While the other cars were snapped up by this pack of Gen-X'ers and approaching middle aged pot bellies who were probably attempting to recapture their mis-spent youth, I held back, I had to for I walk with a limp.

When the Packard came up for sale just one other "pre-baby-boomer" and I battled it out and I won! As the bidding intensified I put my foot on the front bumper and leaned on the car as if I already owned it. This act appeared to unsettled my opponent or it could have been the heat of a typical Houston July, but he stopped bidding. My last bid carried the day. The reaction of the under 55 set around me was one not of congratulation, but of pity, no doubt those whippersnappers thought the geezer was out of his head, but of all of the cars on the lot that day, I cranked up my Packard and drove it home--the others need trailers.

Posted on: 2010/7/6 17:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Great acquisition story zougeride, please include it in your Packard Owner's Registry entry so others can enjoy it whenever they view the entry. Particularly enjoyed the fact you drove the '50 home!

And another note to Kev, although zougeride has now made 4 posts the post counter box in his personal information only shows 3!

Posted on: 2010/7/6 18:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Zougeride, great story! You made my evening. Welcome to Packard Info.

Jim

Posted on: 2010/7/6 22:06
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Logan
See User information
Dave, I'm not sure if the first response by you came through here, but I found this older post, and have the same issue - 1950 seat removal. I think you said to push down hard at the front of the seat (same for front or rear), and the back of the seat would raise up. Then the bolts for the backrest are exposed, and voila. I tried this on both the front and back seats; nothing happened, and I pressed hard. I'm sure I misunderstood or did something wrong, but frankly, I don't see how the front can go any down lower due to the solid bottom that rests on the floor. Is the cushion part supposed to go down into the base? Any further info would be greatly appreciated. Logan

Posted on: 2016/11/4 17:38
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved