Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
254 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 251

Packardbarry, packardsix1939, 68amxgopac, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: '39 flathead 6 questions from a newbie
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Wally(Old_Crow),
to PackardInfo, and I invite you to include your '39 Packard Six in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Wally, if the nuts over the brackets bothers you, you could make some longer studs so as to have all the washers and nuts on the head and then separate washers and nuts for the accessory brackets. One of the attendees at Salado did this for his air cleaner bracket. It looked like a more 'engineered' approach than the way Packard did it. Of course, it would not be authentic, if that is important to you.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/8/23 15:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: '39 flathead 6 questions from a newbie(new question)
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Old_Crow
See User information
Turns out that when you put the short threaded end of the studs in the block as I saw in a pic on someone's blog in here there's more than enough threads to put the brackets on top of the first set of nuts.

Now, a new quandry:
When I took this motor apart the oil pickup was laying in the pan. As I re-assemble it, I tried a new cotter key to retain the pickup to the tube. Still, I put the pickup on, drop the key through the hole and the pickup will pull right out of the tube. I'm about to the point of safety wiring the pickup into the tube. I even added an o-ring into the recess where the pin is supposed to go and I'm using the biggest gauge cotter pin I can get through the hole in the tube. It helped, but I was still able to just pull the pickup off.

Oh, well, almost quitting time. I'll post this and check over the weekend and see if you guys have a solution.

Have a nice holiday.

Wally

Posted on: 2013/8/30 16:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Sorry, I have no experience with that. Although, I'd have to guess that the parts will show you how they want to be assembled.

Got photos?

Pat

Posted on: 2013/9/1 10:12
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Old_Crow
See User information
OK, first is the pickup tube in place with the cotter pin in place:

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz225/walliscrow/Vinces/DSC00809_zps98334b1a.jpg

Second is the pickup tube, pulled out of place with the cotter pin still installed.

http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz225/walliscrow/Vinces/DSC00810_zps61e63552.jpg

Posted on: 2013/9/4 9:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Understood now....I'll try to do some research...may take a few days.

Pat

Posted on: 2013/9/4 11:59
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Old_Crow
See User information
Don't worry about it unless for curiosities sake.
I put an o ring in the groove, made sure it was past the cotter pin, inserted the cotter pin and then bent the tails up past the flange on the tube. Then I took some safety wire and looped around the flange and the cast end of the pickup tube. The pickup won't be coming out of the tube anytime in my lifetime(and I'm younger than the owner of the car).
Obviously the level of the oil is higher than the end of the pickup tube anyway, because the screen part wasn't on the tube when I took it apart and it still had oil pressure.

Tommorrow, the bell housing, clutch and flywheel and set the motor in the car.
The customer called to check on the progress today and when I told her I plan on having it running this week or next, she sounded like a teenager again instead of the octogenarian she is.

I'll post a couple of pics when I get the dust washed off and the front end of the car back together.

Posted on: 2013/9/4 16:11
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved