Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55 Caribbean Carbs
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Unfortunately, the larger parts of the 4GC and other 4-bbl. carbs of this period won't fit in the one-gallon pail.

However, you could simpy pour the chem-dip into one of those cheap "tupperware" containers that will accomodate the parts and let 'em soak. When finished, pour the chemical back into the original container and store it away for the next such job.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 7:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Gallon pail about 3/4 full will set you back around $15 or so here and anything larger is outrageous--still probably won't be enough to completely submerge the body though. Brians idea is a good one but suggest checking the label or tupperware container first. Some of the cleaners with solvents will soften or eat right thru some plastics. Brand I have cautions to remove anything plastic from carb. Don't know if any have gone eco-friendly water based yet.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 10:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I will not be installing them unless a show is envolved or sell the car. I presently have a single carb installed and am quite happy with it that way.

I suspect quite a few of us have had experience both ways (single vs dual 4GCs) on V8 Packards. When I first bought my 5699 it had a single Carter 4bbl and was later converted back to original. Other than the obvious expense of acquring the needed parts, the only difference other than performance I note is about 1 mpg less highway though I do use a soft foot on the accelerator. Initial setup of the duals took about an extra 20 minutes and has remained OK since. You can either follow the Packard recommendation, or the Rochester one, they are essentially the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (145.04 KB)
177_4a940cb13d5a5.jpg 1280X1236 px

Posted on: 2009/8/25 11:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yes, Howard, I should have noted to test the chemical on plasticware, first - forgot about its solvent nature. I'd previously only used the "tupperware" for rust removal solution.

A friend was just face with similar problem in rebuilding a Q-jet for an '80 Corevtte, but used a black plastic 5-gal. bucket that had previously contained some reconditioning (solvent-base) chemical. Tipped on edge slightly, it worked great.

I wish the short-sighted suppliers of the chem-dip would just make a proper size pail to handle these larger carbs.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 11:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The complete 6-page bulletin on Rochester 4GCs for 1955-56 Packards is available right here:

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?138

Posted on: 2009/8/25 11:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Get a container big enuf for the carb to set in and tall enuf. Put the carb in it and fill up the rest of the container with a bucket full of nusts and bolts or other misc metallic objects arounf the carb to take up the slack space. Then pour int he carb cleaner.

I've used cheap hardware store lacquer thinner as a carb cleaner but it does not always leave a real shiny outer body. And it has to soak about 3 days.

The carb cleaner is the best to use. I use Berryman. Other brands mite be better. It IS expensive tho.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 11:36
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
You could begin the cleaning process by taking the bowl, air horn, venturi and other parts to a good auto parts store and having them run them through their cleaning tank, then Laquer thinner. The trip through the cleaning tank shouldn't cost that much, just wire the parts together so they can't get lost in the process.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 11:52
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
You could also use disposable aluminum pans as a "dip" tank.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 21:18
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
A good source of pots and baking pans is to go to white elephant sales at Churches and yard sales look over household things usually a lot of large pans and I always look for bread baking pans as the are great for keeping small old things you want to keep organized. Most of these older things are made heavy and can take a lot of abuse for garage use. Better for me to use them than shipped to China for scrap.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 9:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Now you've got me thinking Al!

I bet one of those old blue/black, porcelain/enamel on steel stock pots would be just the thing for this.

BTW, old muffin pans are great for storing hardware and small parts during a job.

Yet, when I am rebuilding carbs and such, dissasemble and reassemble on an old flat fiberglass cafeteria tray. The upturned edge keeps small parts from rolling off on to the floor and down the drain.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 10:01
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved