Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

Mr.D, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

55 Caribbean Carbs
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
I recently purchased a set of 55 Caribbean Carbs. They need rebuilding. Does anyone have any idea who I can trust this to and ball park figure as to what I should expect to pay for a really good job? It appears that they are in fairly good shape with no missing parts.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 13:25
 Top  Print   

Re: 55 Caribbean Carbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I would say take the time and do it yourself, as you'll know exactly what went in them and if they're right or not. Plus, you'll have the satisfaction of learning to do it yourself, and know how to fix them if something goes wrong.

Other than that, there was a guy on the (cough) AACA forum (cough) that went by Carbking, he would be who I'd send one to if I couldn't/wouldn't/didn't want to do it myself.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 13:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Carbking has never done any work for me but his presense at AACA has been most impressive with his advice. That's who i would choose.
CarbKng has a website with phone number. NEED to call him v-2-v tho. He does not answer emails despite the fact his website has an email address in it. or he never answers my emails.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 14:13
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Daytona Parts down in FL, the company that makes most of the rebuild kits everyone else offers, is simply superb, they've probably done dozens and dozens of sets of Caribbean 4CGs, and in the rare chance you'd have any problems, they are as helpful as anyone could be, up to and including taking the carbs back for re-inspection should that be required. Couldn't recommend anyone higher.

But not inexpensive, about $375 each, more or less.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 14:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If it was me, I'd put those original carbs on the shelf and buy a pair of Edelbrock 1403's, 500cfm 4bbls and have a good driveable carb and leave the original ones on the shelf for the next guy. The driveability of the Edelbrocks is second to none, and you won't have any tuning issues like you would with a 4GC. Plus, there's TONS of parts and expertise for the Edelbrock, not so much for a worn out 4GC. Just my

Posted on: 2009/8/23 14:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
500 or 600cfm for the dual setup?

Summit has 1405 listed as 600cfm with manual choke, 1406 is electric.

1403 is 500cfm with electric choke.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 15:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes, 1403, my bad. I would definitely go with 500cfm as compared to 600, unless you're building a bad-a$$ 374.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 15:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
The 4GC carbs aren't terribly difficult to rebuild. Keep in mind that 4-bbl. carbs had only been around for a few years, then. The factory shop manual gives very good instructions. Setting up the 2x4 carbs is a little tricky, though.

Reproduction, yet updated, repair kits for the Rochester 4GCs are available from Daytona Parts Company and other Packard vendors, and I've used them successfully. However, I recommend you thoroughly inspect the contents, without opening the bag (if possible), and report any shortages promptly.

If you were looking for a total carb restoration, I'd recommend CarbKing as he has even reproduced the original brass/copper tags with correct carb numbers. I was advised, however, that those tags were only available as part of his full restoration service.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 18:23
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55panama
See User information
Thanks for all the information. I will rebuild the carbs myself as suggested. I will not be installing them unless a show is envolved or sell the car. I presently have a single carb installed and am quite happy with it that way. Any suggestions on a god carb cleaner and coating?

Posted on: 2009/8/24 13:35
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Go to the local autoparts store a buy a gallon of carburetor dip with a metal basket in it. You will use that to soak all the metal parts to clean them.

Anything that doesnt clean off the outside you can clean up with a wire brush, and then resoak, Make sure to rinse everything well and blow out all the passages with compressed air.

Eastwood makes several different types of coatings for the outside of the carb.

Posted on: 2009/8/24 18:56
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved