Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
178 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 178

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Knocking question
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good discussion, but it will be better served in the General Discussion forum where more folks can contribute and benefit.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2011/10/23 11:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Certainly!! But how does it get moved?? I guess I was looking in that area when I decided to solicit ideas... My car IS NOT for sale or trade. :)

Posted on: 2011/10/23 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
Notify the moderator and tell them it is mis-posted by mistake and ask them to move it. By the way, I sent Kevin a PM and asked him to move it for you since you indicated that was your wish. Gene

Posted on: 2011/10/23 15:14
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Topic Moved.

Posted on: 2011/10/23 23:01
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Thanks Kev! I have yet to go and try the spark plug test. I want to take an earlier suggestion and add the Wynn oil prior to restarting. I have to say I am really saddened that I may have caused this with the recent oil change.

Posted on: 2011/10/24 20:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Weeks
See User information
Finally got the oil additive in the car and took it to my brother-in-law's for him to look at it. He thinks it is more like a tappet noise, but asked whether they were hydraulic or not. I have no earthly idea, it is a 50 Super DeLuxe 8 with a 327 and an Ultramatic transmission. Was this ALWAYS one or the other, or do I need to look for a code or number somewhere? Though I have many things for which to be thankful, right now I am thankful for it NOT being a rod bearing and for this group as well! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone of you.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 20:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Look at the motor number. Standard 327 engine that year had solid and not sure if Packard gave 50's the upgrade option. If the 50 engine did have the option of hydraulic lifters and they were installed, there should be a stamped "H" suffix. Your 23rd 327 should start with an H4XXXXX but there may be a second H or some other letters at the end.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 20:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gene
See User information
This is a section of the "Service Manual, Section V, ENGINE" that you can download from this site from the link on the left side under "Packard Literature and Manuals". Just go to the 1950 or 23 Series and look for it. You can also request everything that is listed on CD from Kevin when you donate to keep the site up and running. This is an extremely worthwhile thing to do and I have donated each year I've been a member (just try to send him a little extra to cover the postage and CD cost). He is doing us all a great favor here.

Gene

Attach file:

doc Size: 168.50 KB; Hits: 45

Posted on: 2011/11/20 20:48
1949 Packard Super 8 Limousine
1939 Buick Special

War doesn't determine who's right; war determines who's left.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Quote:

HH56 wrote:
Look at the motor number. Standard 327 engine that year had solid and not sure if Packard gave 50's the upgrade option. If the 50 engine did have the option of hydraulic lifters and they were installed, there should be a stamped "H" suffix. Your 23rd 327 should start with an H4XXXXX but there may be a second H or some other letters at the end.

Late Type Super Eight Engines

"Super Eight engines for models 2302-22-32 now being built in production are equipped with hydraulic tappets. These engines are identified by the suffix letter "F" after the engine serial number."

So if you have a late model 1950 Super Deluxe 8, you may (probably) have hydraulic lifters. I checked your entry in the owners registry to see whether it was a late model or not but there was no vehicle number to use as a guide.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 23:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for that info. Missed that article so another suffix to remember.

I am starting to have a lot of respect for the old mechanics that had to or could keep track of suffixes, symbols and different color dabs of paint stuck here and there to know what they were actually working on. Where it must have been interesting is during the Korean war where in addition to all the previous suffixes, Packard added symbols to the motor number. When they had to eliminate waste they used oversize lifter bores on some engines and identified their use with a symbol or an oversize valve in some transmissions also identified by a symbol on the motor.

Posted on: 2011/11/20 23:09
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved