Happy 4th of July and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 140 141 142 (143) 144 145 146 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 16th October 2013

After a good run to Jamberoo on Sunday, although sparsely attended with only 4 Packards and 5 participants, on the way home called in and picked some Packard parts from EleanorS who has just sold the family's very original '22 126 Tourer. They are used parts the new owner didn't want, but may prove useful to someone else. Not a great deal there, and because they are possibly intermixed with parts from non-Packards, I'll be seeking expert advice from DavidM as to what is '22 Packard and what isn't. Will initially be selling the parts on Eleanor's behalf through our club Magazine and the PACA Website then, if they don't sell there, on eBay.

Then today, picked up the '46 trans and R9 OD which I found on the PACA Website in the For Sale/Wanted section. Peter, the PACA member selling them on behalf of the owner, was great to deal with providing photos and arranging very prompt shipping and put the unit on a skid he made up to handle and protect it, thanks Peter! Next will be pulling it apart to determine condition and then rebuild for swapping it into the Coupe.

A note for you Aussies out there on the stuff Peter is selling: The engine is still available and the owner will negotiate on price. While all the remaining parts(I don't know what's left, you'll have to contact Peter) can be had for AU$100 plus shipping.

Attach file:

jpg  (71.05 KB)
226_525e1d1cf2cba.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.91 KB)
226_525e1d42382fb.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.02 KB)
226_525e1d5118636.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.28 KB)
226_525e2126f27d1.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (38.73 KB)
226_525e213b0a330.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.52 KB)
226_525e21a95b8d8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (59.74 KB)
226_525e22322a01e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/10/16 0:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 21st October 2013

Spent a couple of hours at the workshop sans Wade. Unloaded the trans and R9 OD from the boot(trunk) of my daily driver, where it had resided since I picked it up last Wednesday. Came complete with the remnants of the OD wiring harness, transmission mounts, shift levers and shift rods. First thing was to release the levers and rods from the trans and OD to which they were attached with LOTS of thin rope. Started undoing it but became frustrated but ended cutting it, much easier! Then releasing the trans/OD unit from its skip to which it was attached by 2 coach bolts at the front and 2 coach bolts and a piece of steel strapping bent over the top of the output housing of the OD. As well as these fasteners the spigot shaft had been positioned on a piece of timber with a semi circle cut out of it on which the splines lay. Over the top of that were 2 further pieces of timber nailed to the lower piece to provide protection to the spigot during transportation. Peter, you really did a great job on the packaging! Next was removing extraneous bits so I could clean up the trans/OD unit. Off came the side trans mounts and the solenoid, stuffing the hole with a piece of rag, but leaving the governor in place. Then the cleaning, but there wasn't a lot to do, looks like Peter or the previous owner had cleaned it up already. Still, with the removal of the mounts and the solenoid, the nooks and crannies now exposed proved fruitful sources from which accumulated dirt and grease were released. Then with the help of Graeme carried the trans/OD unit from the front of Wade's space, where it had laid since John gave me a hand getting it from the car, to a space out of harms way. Will leave the removal of the governor, unbuttoning of the top and cracking open the OD until Wade is in residence.

Then in the afternoon took a trip up to DavidM's for advice and identification of the 1st Series parts I'll be selling on Eleanor's behalf. Before we get to those first a few words about what David's been up to. He's almost finished the bodywork and painting on the '37 BSA on which he's been working and for once the tables have turned. The owner has taken the chassis away to do some work on that and now David is held up from finishing it because he needs to remount the body to do so. But, not to worry, David is working on something else instead a '20's Alvis 12/50 Rumbleseat Roadster. The lady who owns it wanted it prettied up a bit. Why? Because it's a bitzer! A previous owner was an Alvis collector and made this car out of a collection of parts, ie bits from here, bits from there, a little bit of this, a little bit of that, etc. The mudguards(fenders), both front and back, hung down much too far and spoiled the complete look of the car. Not that '20's small British sports cars had much of a look to spoil anyway. David trimmed about 8" from the front of the front 'guards and the back of the back 'guards as well as giving them some shape and style rather than the squared off finish they arrived with. I think David has done a great job. David has also repositioned the tail/stop/blinker lights from the 'guards to the body and had fitted a nice step plate for the first rumbleseat step in lieu of the ugly "grate" previously used. And was in the midst of mounting the rumbleseat seat squab to the body because it was full floating when it came in, when you hit a bump the seat squab jumped! All going well the lady should be able to pick up her Alvis later this afternoon.

The Alvis out of way, it was then time to get David involved with identification of the boxes of bits I'd brought along. What we found were: Transmission internals including cluster, gears, shafts, shifting forks, etc. Not sure if complete but there's a lot there. Transmission top, these tend to crack, but this one isn't. Headlight Bucket, Rim(with some dings) and Reflector. NO glass. Marvel Carburettor, not Packard probably for a Buick. Speedometer, looks like it works, but no clock! Distributor Body and Cap, no points. 1 Set used Valve Collars and Keepers. 4 Tubes, new but about 10 years old. 1 only Rear Seat Footrest Bracket. 2 used Timing Chains. Accelerator Pedal. and a new Ring Gear. As David said "If I were doing up a 1st Series now, I'd buy the lot!", but he's not having been there and done that! So, for all you Aussie 1st Series owners, these will be listed For Sale in the December issue of the PACA magazine The Packardian. I expect my email and phone to be running hot from eager buyers! Plus, in the non-Packard parts was a little brass Tecalemit grease gun. I'd spotted it at Eleanors when I picked up the parts and had bought it to clean up and use as a piece of garage wall art. I'd left it with all the parts and when David spotted it, realised what it was, and had a use for it. His small lathe, a Myford(I think), has a number of tiny grease nipples on it for which he'd never found a connection that fitted. Now, problem solved, clean it up and it can be put to a useful purpose instead of gathering dust in my garage.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.83 KB)
226_5264dfcc70603.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.13 KB)
226_5264dfdd20f70.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.09 KB)
226_5264e00bbea77.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.64 KB)
226_5264e03e6ff97.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.57 KB)
226_5264e05f0ca9c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (60.18 KB)
226_5264e160a17ec.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (58.42 KB)
226_5264e174715b6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.77 KB)
226_5264e18978ccf.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.23 KB)
226_5264e19873592.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.06 KB)
226_5264e1a6357bf.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.82 KB)
226_5264e2037d479.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (22.41 KB)
226_5264e256a5f7a.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.78 KB)
226_5264e295428a0.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (41.49 KB)
226_5264e2d67f4ab.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.21 KB)
226_5264e345d89eb.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/10/21 3:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 31st October 2013

Last night received a call from Noel who had been in contact with Wade yesterday. And because of some difficulties that Fleurette is experiencing Wade, because he can't make it to the workshop this week, suggested that Noel have me look at the problems. Looks like I'd been promoted to a hands on role! That sort of thinking could set a dangerous precedent! Anyway, arranged to meet Noel and Fleurette there while I would bring the Coupe because there was more measuring to do. And wouldn't you know it, and wasn't I relieved, that two of the apparent problems were no longer evident. These being a "knock-knock" sound from up front which Noel thought he'd tentatively identified as coming from the water pump. The other phantom was difficulties with the gear change, in not being able to get into forward gears, and I experienced an even bigger sigh of relief that that was no longer a problem. There was one thing though, the brakes appeared to be grabbing so when Noel and Fleurette arrived a hand on each wheel identified the right rear as hotter than the others. Noel then backed Fleurette into the workshop and, after Rick moved a couple of cars, up she went on the hoist. For that I had to enlist John's help because, although I thought I was pushing the right button I wasn't. The remote control unit when hanging from its hook is upside down so although I thought I was pushing the up button it was really the down one! That sorted, and Fleurette up, found the right rear wheel wouldn't turn at all while the left rear was somewhat limited. Backed off the brakes till both were free and then turned to the OD, for which Noel wanted the oil level checked and which was OK. Back down on the ground, after another tutorial from John because of the delay in pressing and holding the down button(the right one) and the hoist responding, then I thought we'd be off for a test drive. But not yet, Fleurette's front seat squab wasn't catching on the clip on the passengers side and needed attention. Brute strength didn't do anything to help and, after removing the squab from the car and some advice from Noel it was apparent why. The squab had come from a donor car and the drivers side "clip" had been repositioned at some stage, twice in fact. The passengers side "clip" though was still original and needs the same treatment to make that aspect of the Packard ownership experience joyful rather than frustrating. Noel, maybe in collaboration with friend Tony, will attend to that in due course. Off on the test run and, apart from a lower pedal, the brakes were fine and not dragging or grabbing. The final thing was measuring up part of Noel's 160 Coupe right side inner fender panel and comparing it to the one in my 120. A slight difference of 270mm for the 120 versus 275mm for the 160. Not much of a difference, but it is different. Because I'm planning to take a run up to Vintage Motor Garage on the Central Coast in the next week or two Noel is interested in riding along to determine whether than can make him a replacement inner fender panel. And sorry, no pic's today. In my hands on role I forgot to take any, that's a first!

Posted on: 2013/10/31 4:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 6th November 2013

Nothing happening at the workshop, but there have been some Packard goings on. Michael, Noel and myself took a trip up to the Vintage Motor Garage at Central Mangrove in my Coupe to, among other things, see whether they could make a new left right side inner fender panel and lower grill panel for Noel's '41 160 Coupe. The panels he has are very rusty, swiss cheese like and, especially the lower grill panel, are lacking in strength. But on arrival, before Noel got into a panel making discussion, we saw that Phil's '26 Limo was still in residence. Last time we were there 29th July it was thought it'd only be about a month before the Limo was heading to Tassie for finishing, but obviously it hasn't happened yet. After that Noel recovered the panels from the boot(trunk) of my Coupe he conferred with the proprietor, Jonathon. We then departed together with the panels as the estimate was very steep, lucky Noel has a strong constitution otherwise we might have had to carry him to the car from where he fell in a heap from the price shock! But all was not lost, by chance Noel left the panels in the boot(trunk) of my Coupe but was able to meet up with him later to hand them back. The occasion being a PACA Committee meeting, one of whose members is DavidM. Seeing David there, it came to Noel that maybe David could help him out with the panels. Upshot is that David left with the panels and is going to try to save them if possible and at what would be a more comfortable cost I'm sure. At least this will pull David away from working on BSAs, Singers, Alvii(plural of Alvis?) and such as well as his Maxwell and back onto Packards. Actually David is currently working on the Maxwell, there's been a lull with the little Pommie cars, and has the Maxwells diff apart for the umpteenth time and is determined to get it right this time!

PS - Does anyone have, or know of, a '41 160 right inner fender panel or lower grill panel for sale? Noel would be interested!

Attach file:

jpg  (38.93 KB)
226_527b1cdbbd082.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.92 KB)
226_527b1d2a63c58.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.33 KB)
226_527b1d4d12d5f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.04 KB)
226_527b1db2754e2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.38 KB)
226_527b1dd64651b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.32 KB)
226_527b1e24e8c2f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.83 KB)
226_527b1e3649841.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/11/7 0:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 8th November 2013

David's advice re the panels is this "After a close look at Noel's panels in the light of day I think they are beyond repair. I don't have the gear to make new ones properly. I will suggest he follows up with Chris's panel beater."

So the PS from my previous post of "Does anyone have, or know of, a '41 160 right inner fender panel or lower grill panel for sale? Noel would be interested!" is even more pertinent. I've also posted this wanted ad.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 0:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 11th November 2013

Harking back to posts of days gone by, see #1274 and a number of subsequent ones, there was a competition of sorts for a picture caption. I don't think I ever announced a "winner" and that thought has been nagging me for almost a year. The main reason being, I didn't have a suitable "prize" although mention had been made that something from the workshop would probably fill the bill. Instead, and the judges decision is final with no correspondence being entered into, I am finally announcing JW as the winner! More because a suitable prize has now entered my possession than anything else! Following JW's Clipper "starring role" in the movie Parkland, about the Kennedy assassination, the "prize" is a magazine with an article on Jacki Weaver who featured in the movie and "drove" JW's Clipper!

John, the magazine will soon be winging it's way to you.

Attach file:

jpg  (19.03 KB)
226_527fde4ee59ec.jpg 384X512 px

Posted on: 2013/11/10 14:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal, I am honored and happy to hear the contest results. The prize is most appropriate. Many thanks to you for sponsoring this fun event. It is these things that make the site what it is - First Class. Looking forward to receiving the magazine are reading about Jackie and "Parkland".

I still have not seen the movie. It was premiered here in Austin about a month ago, then had a short run at one house. No news of it since. This all reminds me to see when it will be released.

When on our trip to New Mexico in September to visit with family and friends and do some volunteer work for the Santa Fe Concorso we viewed "Rush" (highly recommend it). Coming out of the movie got this photo of a "Parkland" poster and me in the theatre lobby. Also reposting the photo of Jackie and me during the filming in Austin.

Edit: Oops, too quick on the Send button. Here is the poster photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (136.62 KB)
565_528118ed26563.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (78.31 KB)
565_52811c6839259.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/11/11 12:50
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Mal - The prize arrived yesterday. Enjoying reading the various articles and looking at the advertisements. There is a nice article in it about Mark Webber, one of my favorite F1 drivers. Saw him on Sunday at the US F1 GP here in Austin. Great driving, but he just could not get around Grosjean's Lotus. Still, finished on the podium for a 3rd place. Thanks for sponsoring the contest and providing the prize. Take care.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/11/19 11:06
We move toward
And make happen

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
JW, you can buy it now at any retailer i believe. I forgot about your car being in the movie and plan to view it soon myself. as for F1, I wish BMW was still running around out there.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/parkland-dvd/2072083.p;jsessionid=36E6AC5E558EC6689651894A314B04BC.bbolsp-app03-141?id=2750172&skuId=2072083&st=parkland&lp=1&cp=1

Posted on: 2013/11/19 11:19
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Hank, thanks for the pointer to Best Buy. I'll head over there and see if they have a copy. I too wish BMW were still in F1. The Sauber team is still running and BMW had it for a time until Peter bought it back.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/11/19 13:57
We move toward
And make happen

« 1 ... 140 141 142 (143) 144 145 146 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved