Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
64 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 63

Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Is there a way to increase height in a 1956 Torsion bar suspension?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I wonder (there I go again) how they judged that at the factory as they installed the T-bars with just the frame to work with??

That's a really interesting question. I guess there aren't enough original and unaltered cars left anymore to begin gathering valid data. I've only had the occasion to look at one 56 Patrician and one Clipper that I think might have still been in the "as sold" condition and both had 2-groove pins. If anyone else has observations from what they think is the original factory configuration, it might be interesting to see what we find.

Posted on: 2008/12/5 10:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Note that 56-T1 indicates that the 9* torsion bars are for for Sr's AND LIMITED supply. That's fine for Sr. owners if there are any 9* T-bars left anywhere. What's a Jr owner to do???? Adjustable load links is all i can think of.

Also, 56T-1 indicates the 9* torsion bars will vary thus requireing the correct pick of load links to even the car from side-to-side. So again, the adjustable load links would be easier and faster for the 9* T-bars unless a set of 8 original load links to choose from is cheap enuf and plentiful enuf just to order all 8. OR, if shipping charges get real cheap so one could ship them backand forth on exchange basis. I'm a dreamer.

The Jr owners are just shit-out'a luck on the 9* T-bars. And the Sr. owners may have to swap the load links around a few times until the correct atitude is achieved. Either way, looks like a good case for the adjustable load links to me.

Posted on: 2008/12/6 0:27
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
"I wonder (there I go again) how they judged that at the factory as they installed the T-bars with just the frame to work with??"

PMCC probably pushed that off on the Dealers as "New Car Prep". Of couse new car prep usually means check the air in the tires, set the clock and put a dealer sticker on the trunk and deliver it to the customer and hope they don't complain.

If i remeber rite, Buick New Car Prep paid about 1/2 hour back in the 70's. So the dealer didn't do any more than he had to unless the customer jumped up and down on the dealers head. Then the dealer would let the car set in the lot for a week.

Posted on: 2008/12/6 0:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
I havent got back to you all on measurement of the vertical bar, as i have been traveling. Anyhow, I am happy to know that they can be raised. What about the adjustable bars? That sounds like a fool proof way of setting the height to what is needed, isn't it?

One further question: I have heard about the bar in the front suspension. Will changing it automatically raise the rear also to compensate for the new front height?

Thanks,
victor

Posted on: 2008/12/8 21:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I believe that the rear will raise or lower to match the front height. That is why Packard sold different length pins. You needn't adjust anything else.

Posted on: 2008/12/8 22:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Victor. try a pair of air shocks on the REAR of the car. When u raise the back of the car with the AIR shocks then the TL motor should raise the front of the car.

I've never tried the air shocks myself but it should work.

If u decide to do this then let us know because there are some preliminary precautions that should be taken during the leveling out process.

The actuateing TL rod will most likely need to be re-adjusted which is fairly ez to do.

I'm sure many others will chime in on this thread.

Posted on: 2008/12/31 10:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
i dont know much about tire sizes or even what tires are availible, but could this problem be solved just by going to a slightly taller tire?

Posted on: 2008/12/31 11:59
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
i'm wondering what happen to Victor. 4 or 5 posts and he never came back. This Mexican 56 Packard would be interesting to hear more about.

Posted on: 2009/2/5 14:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
The Service Technical Bulletin 55T-1 says that the riding height should be 10 inches. Is your car at that height? What is the height of these speed bumps?

For those V8 owners with the different groves, is your car at 10 inches?

The Service Technical Bulletin 56T-1 says the 9 degree bars were for those cars that had the heavy accessories, such as A/C. What would have made the Caribbeans heavier, than the other models? A hardtop is a hardtop? The convertible does not have the solid top weight.

Posted on: 2009/2/6 22:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Let the ride decide wrote:........The Service Technical Bulletin 56T-1 says the 9 degree bars were for those cars that had the heavy accessories, such as A/C. What would have made the Caribbeans heavier, than the other models? A hardtop is a hardtop? The convertible does not have the solid top weight.

This very recent thread about the chassis re-inforcement on the Caribbean's helps explain their extra weight.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2211&forum=3

Posted on: 2009/2/6 22:16
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved