Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
358 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 355

greybeard, T Sweeney, Soybeanfarmer1 , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 53 54 55 (56) 57 58 59 ... 259 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I would imagine that 55-56 owners could do the same thing even easier as there cars are already 12v with a ballast resistor, plus the firewall lip doesn't interfere.

On my '56, I just ran a wire over to one of the shifter circuit breakers. Quick, simple, and took about 12" of wire. And you're right, completely reversible. That is one thing I liked about it, easy, dependable wipers that can go back to original in about 15 minutes. What's not to like?

Posted on: 2010/2/1 16:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I for one love my vacuum wipers. They force me to keep my car ventilated because they only swipe once until I reach out the drivers window and push it back to the middle! Just having fun...

BigKev, it's hard to believe you consider your car as just a driver with the great job you are doing on it!

At the beginning of your project, there was a time lapse before you started posting. I'm curious as to whether you had the engine and/or transmission rebuilt or are you "playing it by ear" and cross that road further into your restoration?

Posted on: 2010/2/1 18:23
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
When I was a kid, I used to drive grain truck for my Grandpa during the summers around 1992-95. I got to drive the oldest truck, an old 40's GMC, and that old truck had a hand crank (not factory...I hope) you would have to use to wipe the drivers side of the windshield. It was mounted up where the drivers visor should have gone. I hooked up an old hand crank victrola music player assy I found in the shop onto the passenger cab floor, hooked a metal rod to a swivel I mounted on the record plate, the other end hooked up on the the wiper handle and Voila! Instant automatic wipers!

My sensible farmer grandpa didn't see it's value, but admired the engineering.

I didn't mean to take it this far off topic, but hey, its wiper related right?

Posted on: 2010/2/1 18:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
portlandon wrote:......I hooked up an old hand crank victrola music player assy I found in the shop onto the passenger cab floor, hooked a metal rod to a swivel I mounted on the record plate, the other end hooked up on the the wiper handle and Voila! Instant automatic wipers!......

I'd like to see that! A Heath Robinson/Rube Goldberg machine! No chance of a pic I suppose?

Posted on: 2010/2/1 19:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
No chance of a pic I suppose?

I wish. It was genius!

Posted on: 2010/2/1 19:59
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
No, I have not had the engine or transmission out of the car. I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Which will be soon as the only thing left to do is the fuel system, then I can actually get the motor running (or not). Once the motor is running, then I will know pretty quickly about the transmission.

Posted on: 2010/2/1 20:32
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Well I decided to get a little bit of work done before my business trip next week to central Jersey. So I thought I would get my rear Speaker switch mounted. So I printed out a copy of the template I drew up. Remove the antenna and headlight switch knobs so I could use the switch shaft to align the template on. Then I marked the location of the '54 Speaker Switch. I was just about to drill the hole for the switch, when something told me to make sure I had all the pieces. Upon this I discovered while I had the correct bezel, knob, and retainer nut. the switch is actually incorrect. The portion of the shaft where the nut screws on is to large. So this switch is not for a '54. Not sure if it was for a previous year, or 55/56. So I will have to call the vendor I got it from and see if I can get a swap out.

While I was working near the dash, I decided to replace some of my pitted dash knobs with the better ones I got from the swap meet. Upon doing the headlight one I noticed that the headlight switch just has a plain bezel instead of the "LIGHTS" embossed bezel. But I have a spare "LIGHTS" bezel in the assortment I got from the swapmeet. I wonder what is correct for '54 CLippers, and what this spare bezel is correct for. The plain bezel I have is does not use a slotted retainer nut, but rather the bezel itself has a threaded center hole and is slotted.

Now that I was thwarted with the wrong switch, I decided to hold of drilling the dash until I could locate the correct one. So with nothing else to do at that moment, I spent some time just wiping down some of the accumulate dust off the car, and putting away some tools.

Attach file:

jpg  (18.63 KB)
1_4b6e19eceda62.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.08 KB)
1_4b6e19f83ab51.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.22 KB)
1_4b6e1a057925b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.65 KB)
1_4b6e1a15afe7d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/2/6 20:40
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Your speaker switch is probably 55-6. That has approx .435 on the overall thread diameter & a slightly odd thread size of 7/16x27. 51-4 is .375 & believe standard 3/8x24 thread.

Posted on: 2010/2/6 21:02
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Howard,

Thanks for that info. If I cant get the this swapped with the vendor, then at least I know what it's for if I flip it out on ebay.

Posted on: 2010/2/6 21:06
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Shaft size will tell you for sure. 55-6 was 3/16 with the groove for the knob locking clip and earlier was approx 1/8 & believe was without groove--just the flat. If you can't find the proper switch, we might be able to come up with a proper nut so you could use that one-as long as the 55-6 knob will match your others.

Posted on: 2010/2/6 21:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 53 54 55 (56) 57 58 59 ... 259 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved