Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
125 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 124

Jerry South Africa, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 18 »

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Good luck on replating the taillights. When I did mine, I rebuilt the rubber dust shield with black rainbow rubber. Rainbow rubber is used by well drillers to fabricate gaskets. It is about the right thickness and bendability.
Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/1/12 0:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Despite the colder weather, I managed to put a few hours in the garage working on the Patrician's fuel system. Thus far, everything checked out from the fuel pump back to the fuel tank. It was the tank that was the problem! When I disconnected the fuel line from the mechanical fuel pump and ran compressed air through the fuel line, I could hear the distinct hissing coming from the fuel tank, but no bubbling, despite the fact that the tank had about three to four gallons of fuel in it. Not a good sign. I fear that the fuel pick-up line in the tank has corroded somewhere, probably at the bend, and, hence, my fuel problem. At least I found out that the fuel line itself was not blocked. Some sort of silver lining, at least.

I have reconciled myself to once again dropping the fuel tank and replacing it with another I purchased a few months ago that checks out pretty good -- so far. The fly in the ointment, so to speak, is removing the remaining fuel from the existing tank since the drain plug is thoroughly stuck. Despite several blasts of PB Blaster and some gentle tapping with a ball pein hammer, the drain plug remains firmly in place. On top of that, as a result of the cold weather, the plastic syphon hose that I have doesn't seem to be working to help remove the fuel from the tank. I suspect that I'll simply have to drop the tank with the fuel in it and work from there.

When I install the replacement fuel tank, I'll probably install the new sender unit that I picked up on eBay a while back, just to prevent yet another unpleasant surprise.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 8:16
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Never try to remove that drain plug. Most are stuck beyond belief, and trying to remove it will just cause the threaded bung to break loose from where it is soldered to to the tank. Then you have bigger problems.

If you knew a child with small enough hands, they may be able to slip a piece of fuel line over the pick up tube to seal any hole in it. Other than that, you would have to cut an access hole in the top of the tank, repair the pickup tube and then weld it back up. (Fill the tank with water first!!!!)

Posted on: 2012/2/6 11:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
and then weld it back up.

Soldering is a better choice.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 11:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Since the temperature reached a balmy 42 degrees Fahrenheit this afternoon, I thought that I would put in a bit of time on the Patrician's fuel system. I dropped the original fuel tank for the second time and placed it in the garage for further examination. I'm thinking of trying to repair it later when I have the time and inclination. But now, forget it.

I worked on my replacement fuel tank a few days ago and it appears to check out fine. I installed the new FoMoCo fuel level sending unit in the tank and then installed it on the Patrician. The old rubber hose going from the filler tube to the breather tube on the tank was hard and cracked so I'm going to replace it with new rubber. No surprise there. Later on tonight, I'm going to get some fresh gasoline and try out the replacement tank. Hopefully, it will feed and I'll be able to get the Pat's engine running on its own fuel system instead of the Rube Goldberg set-up that I bought it with.

I would really like to get the engine running for a period and let it reach its operating temperature. I'm sure that hasn't happened for quite a while. We'll see how that goes. I still have a muffler on only one side so my neighbours should know when the Pat's running. That's the good news.

The bad news is that the 25-gallon compressor that I bought from Sears in November crapped out on me already. Thus far, I've only used it for five or six short periods to fill tires. The motor seems fine, but the air compressor appears to have seized. Great. Fortunately, it is still under the manufacturer's warranty and I dropped it off at the local Sears repair shop this afternoon. I was told that it will probably be two weeks before I get it back. Wonderful.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 17:17
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
When I was in high school, I had a 1958 Edsel Pacer convertible that had a bad fuel tank. We dropped the fuel tank and my father soldered a patch on it. I was not convinced of the wisdom or safety of the idea and was several yards from the garage when he did his soldering. If my memory serves me correctly, he used an electric soldering iron rather than a torch to do the soldering -- if that makes any difference. It did hold for quite a while until we got a replacement tank at a salvage yard.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 17:19
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
PA Patrician, Harbor Freight sells a nice air compressor. It has about a 30 gallon tank. The distinguishing feature is that unlike others costing as much or more it is not an oil less type. Much better. And quieter too. I have a 30 gallon Craftsman oil less compressor. It has worked fine for about 7 years, but man is it noisy. Maybe you can get a refund on the failed one from Sears and get the HF compressor.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/2/9 18:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote:\
" We dropped the fuel tank and my father soldered a patch on it. I was not convinced of the wisdom or safety of the idea and was several yards from the garage when he did his soldering"

Yes, i've seen that done numerous times over the years by very responsible master mechanics with spotless safety records. Even done it myself many times on motorcycle tanks. However i do not recomend it to any one to try it that do not know what they are doing. It's ind of like a hammer, hacksaw or file. There are just some people lacking in skill level to use them properly. Such people need to limit their activities to remove and replace parts technician level.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 18:45
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Buy a "oiled" compressor. The oil-less ones run very loud, and don't have the life span of the traditional oiled one. I have an oiled 'black' craftsman one that I have flogged over and over for several years. Including running it continuously for hours on end without stopping. It has never let me down.

While the fan guard and tank color is a newer style, the basic motor design is probably the same as one they made in the 60s. Splash oil lubrication.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 13:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Concur. I've had my Craftsman since the 70's. It has gone thru a pressure switch and now has a leaking pressure regulator valve but the compressor and motor have done nicely.

Posted on: 2012/2/10 13:25
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved