Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 90 91 92 (93) 94 95 96 ... 195 »

Re: Henry's 55 Constellation
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I used a pipe nipple or coupling that was close to the correct size. Just measured what I thought it needed and went to the hardware store and got the closest smaller diameter they had. Inserted the rope, beat on the pipe (gently) with a mallet until rope was seated. It was a tad smaller diameter so not a perfect solution like the tool but no leaks so apparently worked OK.

Posted on: 2011/8/29 22:38
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yes this is pretty similar to what i did. i just tapped on the seal with a hammer and that thingy i used in place, then i pushed down with my hands, then cut and that was it.

i'm wondering if the bearing is actually contacting the crank on each side of the lip...hmmmmm

i had to tap the back of the crank to get it to go on...it was tight....see the picture of the lip of the rear bearing squashed really tight between the rear main and the weight?

i bet that is what is keeping it from turning.

poohhhhhh.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/8/29 22:43
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
you know, come to think of it....the box was all damaged to hell and the crank had been dropped by the shipping company....i hope the damn thing isn't bent.

(note slight irritation)

Hank

Posted on: 2011/8/30 8:59
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just remove your rope seals and do a trial fit up without them. That will tell the tale in a hurry if the crank is damaged. Judging by what I can see in the photos, the rope seal is not compressed anywhere near enough and is clamping the crank.

Posted on: 2011/8/30 9:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Appearances are deceptive - for something that looks so robust, crankshafts can be easily bent; hence the reason they should always be stored standing upright and never laying flat.

Based on your description of the shipping experience, I'd think it a prudent idea to have the crank checked and straightened if necessary. Any good automotive machine shop that does engine work should have the necessary equipment.

PS: I assume you did check for proper crankshaft end-play?

Posted on: 2011/8/30 9:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
ross, will try without rope seal. thanks for the idea!

friend has a lathe that if the rope seal idea doesn't work i'm going to throw it on that and dial gauge it for bends.

I can't do the endplay....the thing wont move period.

Hank

Posted on: 2011/8/30 10:06
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Took off all main caps, turns freely. Put caps back on one at a time and hand tighten, when I do that....no turn. Did it one cap at a time leaving off the other four... Hand tighten that one cap... Won't turn.

Dad is coming and we will plastigauge. Something isn't right. Bearings are marked .010 and jack says crank was done .010 also. So not sure what is happening.

Front of crank is marked with white marker... 010 and 010.... I'm guessing rod/main turned 010

Posted on: 2011/8/30 19:12
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Well me and my dad racked our brains and finally decided to put in the standard sized mains from my original block on the number three main.... Torqued it to 90 and bam it turns.....so the rods are 010 but the mains are still standard.

We put on a rod with the 010 bearings and it was fine.

i guess even for that matter the mains could be .001 or .002 and those standard bearings i had would still work since we know it is not 010...that only leaves one of three....STD, .001 or .002. would have to mic for sure and/or plastigage.

can't this dang thing just go together! doesn't it want to run again!

Hank

Posted on: 2011/8/30 20:54
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Henry, Patience, patience, patience. This work is critical and it has to be right on. Good decision to try the old main bearings. Usually, .001 or .002 oversized bearings are not used on a turned crankshaft. They are used to take up wear where turning is not necessary. You probably have standard main bearing journals and .010 undersized rod journals. Depending upon how much finishing was done on the main bearing journals, you may be able to use .001 or .002 oversized main bearings. Measure, measure, measure.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2011/8/30 22:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
yes, patience....gotta remember that in my youth.

I looked over the X-ref and found the modern front and rear seals....ordered those from rockauto for 18 bucks shipped.

i figure its out, easy to get to, and seems like a good time to do these.

rear bs40613 felpro
front timken 472924

Hank

Posted on: 2011/8/31 10:12
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 90 91 92 (93) 94 95 96 ... 195 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved