Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
237 user(s) are online (151 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 235

BigKev, Test User, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

bleeding breaks on 1938 packard
Just popping in
Just popping in

Touringman
See User information
I have installed a new master cylinder on my 1938 packard 8. Does anyone know if there are bleeder valves (ports) at the wheel or do I break the break lines to bleed the air out. I have done a bench bleed on the master before installing. I am new to this so any information would be helpful. thanks

Posted on: 2012/8/8 9:20
 Top  Print   

Re: bleeding breaks on 1938 packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Why not just take look at the back side of the backing plate on EACH and EVERY wheel to see if there are bleeder screws or not?????

IF not then it mite be because the bleeder screws twisted off due to rust. In that case it is very likely that the brake LINES will twistoff too due to rust.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 9:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Does anyone know if there are bleeder valves (ports) at the wheel

Yes, on the wheel cylinders.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 9:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
If you haven't already, you can download the shop manual for your Packard here. It will have the procedure for bleeding brakes.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 9:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
When opening (or attempting to open) the wheel cylinder bleeder screws be sure to use a GOOD SIX point wrehnch or socket. Not a 12 point. Same for the brake lines if needed.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 9:42
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Also soak the bleeders down with PB Blaster or the 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 15:31
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you do as suggested above, and it's possible it might be necessary though I've never found it so, just make sure you also take steps to avoid any of those materials co-mixing with the brake fluid.

Posted on: 2012/8/8 16:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice given... and be sure to screw the cap back on the master cylinder between fillings and while you are pumping and bleeding the brakes. If the cap is left off, the fluid will spurt out and damage paint. I know, I did not replace the cap between fillings on my 115C, and had to refinish a fender due to fluid damage to the paint.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2012/8/8 16:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Touringman
See User information
thanks for the information, However I am so new to this I am not sure which screws are the bleeder screws. I have looked at the shop manual and there are no clear lables. Thanks for all your help. mitch

Posted on: 2012/8/9 7:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
The bleeder screws are near to top of the wheel cylinder near where the brake line screws in. They look somewhat like grease fittings

Posted on: 2012/8/9 7:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved