Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
19 user(s) are online (15 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 19

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

My Pack 200 1951 project.
Just popping in
Just popping in

Raf Claessens
See User information
This one is in need of some serious restoration. And that's what I am planning to do. Not to make it as authentic as possible but just to get a nice ride whit some custom mods.
Probably not the easiest task in Belgium. We have got some serious speedbumbs over here so I will be using bags instead of cutting the coils. Any suggestions?

Attach file:

jpg  (65.65 KB)
3600_505391b6e0be4.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (59.38 KB)
3600_505391c6ab588.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (67.99 KB)
3600_505391d69d308.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  (61.93 KB)
3600_505391e69d1bb.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2012/9/14 15:32
 Top  Print 

Re: My Pack 200 1951 project.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Raf,
to PackardInfo. Don't have any experience with this "...using bags instead of cutting the coils..." maybe others can comment? However I will be following along as you proceed with your project.

And I invite you to include your '51 Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2012/9/14 15:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't recall anyone posting mentioning any attempt at airbags but with all the lowrider and truck suspension accessory places, seems like there should be a heavy duty kit for a large car or pickup truck already made that can be adapted to the Packard.

Packard did make many of their own components but since it isn't a Ford or Chevy doubt a direct bolt in kit will happen. Nothing special about the setup that multiple other cars in that era didn't do so an extra hole or brace on another mfgs kit should be possible.

Might check out a few of the knowledge bases or suspension sites for some hints or ideas. Here is one example.http://www.airbagit.com/Default.asp

Posted on: 2012/9/14 16:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Raf Claessens
See User information
Well, I must admit that I was not ussing the right words. Bags are probably not the best way to lower the car, but the height of the car has to be fully adjustable. Sorry for my bad englisch, Many words and terms I have learned come from sites like this, but I don't always know to use them in the right context.

Posted on: 2012/9/15 1:53
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Rear airshocks might be the option if you just want to raise the rear and keep the present suspension. If that is what you have in mind, then perhaps comparing a current regular shock replacement number could determine if an airshock is available close in size to the original which might work. An air fill kit of some kind would also be needed to enable adjustment from inside the car.

For fully adjustable front and rear, you might check out some of the lowrider sites to see if you get some ideas. Here is a place describing both air and hydraulic approaches.http://www.coolcars.org/

Posted on: 2012/9/15 9:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Usually when they "bag the rear", then leaf spring assemble is removed and a trailing arm setup is installed/fabricated like you would see on a more modern truck.

Didn't the guy out in Hollywood bag his 51-54?

Posted on: 2012/9/19 10:48
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
See page 6 of koolkojak's Project Blog for some bag pic's.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 16:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looking at Kool's pics, I figured the floor would have to be cut to provide pumpkin clearance. There was a service letter about the pumpkin hitting the floorpan on some of the 51-54 cars while going over big bumps.

Posted on: 2012/9/19 16:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved