Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

Don B, Don Shields, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

motor # for 47 Custom Clipper
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jesse
See User information
I looked at a 47 Custom sedan with a 356 but the motor # was H600056. Isn't that from 48-49 356 engine? Does that hurt it's value being that it's still a 356 but doesn't match up with the car and correct yr.?

Posted on: 2012/11/14 20:49
 Top  Print   

Re: motor # for 47 Custom Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
H60 is actually a 49-50 23rd series engine so the original must have bit the dust and someone found a nice used one to replace it. IMO, to a purist it will detract from the value since it doesn't appear to have been a service replacement engine. How much I'll step aside for someone else's opinion.

EDIT: On reflection, that may have been the only option to keep a 356 in the car. Those engines were discontinued after the 23rd series and a short time after that happened stock apparently ran out. Service replacement engine for the 356 was changed to the senior 327 engine. Instructions on what to modify and how to make that engine fit in place of the 356 are in the service counselors.

Posted on: 2012/11/14 21:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jesse
See User information
EDIT: On reflection, that may have been the only option to keep a 356 in the car. Those engines were discontinued after the 23rd series and a short time after that happened stock apparently ran out. Service replacement engine for the 356 was changed to the senior 327 engine. Instructions on what to modify and how to make that engine fit in place of the 356 are in the service counselors.

I'm not sure I follow you correctly on what your saying? Can you clarify please?

Posted on: 2012/11/15 10:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Best is to refer to the July 53 Counselor article notifying the field the 356 engine was no longer available as service replacement.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL27NO7.pdf The 47 custom is the 2106 model. If it needed a new engine any time after the stock ran out in 53 -- even if Packard repair was still around -- and the owner wanted to keep an identical 356 in the car, it had to come from a parts car. The newer replacement engines were available even up to the demise of Stude but for a 356, no other options.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 10:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
jesse -

I'm no expert on these cars, but have a look at this site's exclusive Packard Service Index - namely the 1941-47 installment and its Engine section. You'll find three topics, there, pertaining to the substitution of a 327-cid engine as a service replacement for the original 356-cid engine - though two refer to supplemental information to the original notification. Follow the links to the actual documents for full details.

Replacement of the motor in the subject vehicle may have occurred at a time when a new assembly of original type was no longer available from the factory. If the owner wanted to stay with the 356-cid engine (or price were an issue), the only other option at that point would be a used motor from a donor vehicle.

Numbers matching motors are preferred in the hobby, though with more weight among some marques (like Corvette and especially muscle cars). However, a factory-approved service replacement engine is acceptable, including the substitution shown by the aforementioned documents). Personally, I'd rather have the original displacement engine.

So, a used engine from same year seems like the next alternative, but perhaps none were available at that time. Then again, maybe the owner or installer new something else. Effective with the 23rd Series, the Custom Eight (356-cid) motor included some design changes to improve oil supply for the hydraulic lifters - more than just a higher volume oil pump. Study the Engine section of the 1946-50 Service Manual for details.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 10:45
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jesse
See User information
OK, bear with me as I's slow mentally in this area. Am I right in saying based on the engine number the original motor was replaced with a 23rd series 356 motor? How much of a hit on the value does that incur?

Posted on: 2012/11/15 14:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The "hit" on value will depend on the interests of the next buyer of the car. If he's interested in complete authenticity as the car left the factory, then it will be a big factor. If he's looking for a nice touring car and isn't as concerned with such things, then it will have little or no impact of value.

If it were me and the choices were between a correct senior Packard engine though of a later year, and an incorrect engine from a lesser Packard but one Packard later sanctioned as the proper engines became unavailable, to me the choice would be simple - I'd want the senior engine from a later year. Just my opinion.

Posted on: 2012/11/15 16:03
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

jesse
See User information
So the hit on the value will simply be that it's not the correct 47 356 although it is a later yr. 356, correct?

Posted on: 2012/11/16 9:02
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved