Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

46 DASH SWITCH PANEL REMOVAL
Just popping in
Just popping in

bobb4245
See User information
I need to completely rewire the dash on a 46 clipper.
How do I access the rear of the switch panel?
Do I need to remove the whole dash?
If so, How do I do it?

Posted on: 2013/2/23 10:28
 Top  Print   

Re: 46 DASH SWITCH PANEL REMOVAL
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you want to access the entire rear at once you will have to remove the dash.

The instrument cluster itself is an assembly and will drop down in one piece leaving it's chrome outer front piece. The chrome housing switches are mounted in is one piece and screwed to the dash from the rear. While the switches individually will remove from the rear or can be wired in place, the entire housing and switches intact will not come out from the front. Two things prevent this -- one is the length of some individual wires connecting switches to the wire loom are short and won't give enough room to pull. The second is some of the switches are the same width or slightly wider than the slots in the dash support metal so they won't clear. Their width would prevent the assembly coming forward without switch being removed or using considerable manipulation.

To remove dash completely, after all the hood release, steering column, cowl vent and emerg brake levers and anything else you see attached are unscrewed from the bottom of dash, the dash itself is held in by two screws on the bottom corners and a row of screws under the windshield molding.

It will probably help to remove the radio to get rid of that extra weight and to also have a helper. The dash, while not terribly heavy, is bulky and hard to maneuver. Very easy to scratch, tear or damage something trying to move it around by yourself.

Attach file:

jpg  (26.52 KB)
209_5128e9f556af2.jpg 640X340 px

jpg  (24.19 KB)
209_5128ea00d5032.jpg 640X380 px

jpg  (20.59 KB)
209_5128ea0f78a0b.jpg 640X332 px

jpg  (13.52 KB)
209_5128ea199fcaa.jpg 640X230 px

Posted on: 2013/2/23 11:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I rewired my 1947 without removing the dash. As I recall since it was a few years ago I removed the radio and the glove box and to get into a reasonably comfortable position I removed the from seat and placed heavy blankets over the seat frame and laid on my back. I took some photos with a digital camera before I began so if I had to work blind I would have some clue as to what I was feeling. It actually wasn't that bad a job but it does require patience.

Posted on: 2013/2/23 16:18

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day bobb4245,
to PackardInfo, all the best in your re-wiring.

And I invite you to include your '46 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/2/24 15:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved