Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 150

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

One Wire Alternator
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Has anyone replaced a generator with a one wire alternator? They sell kits to convert the alternator, I put one on my Model A. However, I wanted to see if someone had already found a way to mount it using the existing brackets or modifying some brackets.

Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2013/4/2 7:23
 Top  Print   

Re: One Wire Alternator
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I've seen those on brass era cars with electric starters and on race car replicas. Just hook up brackets and go.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 8:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

55 NC Clipper wrote:
Has anyone replaced a generator with a one wire alternator? They sell kits to convert the alternator, I put one on my Model A. However, I wanted to see if someone had already found a way to mount it using the existing brackets or modifying some brackets.

Thanks
Bill

Maybe I'm not following the question but the generator bracket is just a piece of metal bent into a "U" with two holes at specific locations. Since the mounting is slightly different, there is one spaced for Delco generators and another for Autolite. You could use your existing bracket by getting or making proper length spacers to move the alternator either forward or behind the existing holes so the belt lines up. Alternately, you could eliminate the existing bracket entirely and use a universal alternator brackethttp://alternatorparts.com/10si-all-in-one.html#brackets to bolt to the block or manifold depending on the car you're asking about.

Patgreen recently had an alternator installed on his 56. Perhaps he has information on anything specific that was used by his mechanic or maybe a photo of the installation.

Posted on: 2013/4/2 8:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
You were reading the question right, ijust wanted to see if anyone had done it before i tried to reinvent the wheel.

Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2013/4/2 16:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

steve-52/200
See User information
I got a 6v positive ground POWERGEN which is an alternator built in a case hat has the same dimentions as the original generator ,it has one wire to the battery and one to the coil.

after several crummy rebuilds and replacing my gernerator 15 million times Ive been super happy ,Battery charges at idle ,smoothed out lower and upper rpms it has an internal voltage regulator ,I used the original dash mounted regulator ,which I also had a ton of trouble with, as a junction box

Posted on: 2013/4/7 0:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
Perhaps he has information on anything specific that was used by his mechanic or maybe a photo of the installation.

In my case, the installation was an alternator and, at the same time, air conditioning.

I had a bracket made (actually two: one for alternator, one for a/c. Were I to do this over, I would have bought the set from the Golden Hawk guy in New Braunfels, Texas. At the time it seemed pricey; in retrospect it's reasonable.

I'll attempt to find his name and get a useable snap of the results later.

Here is the link to his site:

http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/acpulley.htm

One drawback you may not have anticipated: mine does not read on the gauge in the car. When I turn the key a light goes on underdash. It goes out when the car is running to let me know the system is working. Can't go through your ammeter because the alternator is more powerful than the generator, which could burn out the gauge.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 11:50
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Can't go through your ammeter because the alternator is more powerful than the generator, which could burn out the gauge.

That's pretty hard for me to believe since the ammeter shows the net difference between charge and discharge, not the gross of either except in static (engine not running) condition. Is that the type of installation that the alternator maker recommended? If so, I guess I'd follow it but it makes no sense to me.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 12:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Agree with O_D. I don't think the gauge itself would burn out since essentially, it acts like and is like a straight piece of heavy wire. Once current flows it works like an electromagnet in relation to the needle mechanism -- either attracting or repelling a piece of iron to cause the needle to move. If it was a low current gauge 15-20 amp max then there could be some overheating but the 56 Packard gauge should be OK. It would probably just peg at anything over the rated scale.

I think what most of us were concerned with was leaving the original wire size from the generator to the ammeter and then to the battery. Using the original, it was only rated max current at about two thirds (I think it was around 38 amps) of what the alternator is capable of putting out. In normal operation, not an issue since with 2 biggest loads, headlights and AC, I doubt it would go higher than 25 anps or so. Should any worse case scenario or some kind of failure happen and alternator started putting out in excess of the wire's max current, the wire could have overheated and also destroyed the loom. Therin was the caution of something burning.

I believe your mechanic changed to a proper size #8 for the rated max current out between the alternator and battery. That would be the size needed to the ammeter and then out but getting that size installed also involved being very familiar with the Packard wiring and changing more than just the one wire. I got the impression he was not comfortable in the Packard wiring.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 13:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I've had a one wire alt in my 38 for 5 yrs now and it runs through my ammeter with no problems

Posted on: 2013/4/7 15:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
I got the impression he was not comfortable in the Packard wiring.

He is a skilled mechanic, but not Packard skilled. He gets conservative because he likes the car and doesn't want to damage it.

On the whole, I like his approach but wish he had more theoretical smarts...

Posted on: 2013/4/7 19:34
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved