Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
23 user(s) are online (14 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 23

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
guys and gals
interior screws are all slotted, is that correct?
Ken

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:06
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
A lot if not most of the trim and molding screws were chrome oval head Phillips. A few were painted head Phillips. Some utility types holding mechanical components were straight slot but generally out of everyday sight.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
interior screws are all slotted, is that correct?

Absolutely not.

Phillips-head (aka - "cross-recess") screws were introduced to the industry in the late 1930s. The idea behind the cross-recess was compatibility with powered drivers used on the production line.

My personal recollection was that most trim screws - at least, on cars of this era, have been of the oval head type with cross-recess, rather than slotted.

Short of examining scores of blueprints, the only way to tell what was used is to backtrack through the parts book, application-by-application. While the application listings may not divulge head type, running the P/N against the Numerical Index might give you the Group number for the Utility section, which offers a more complete description.

While the 48-54 parts on file, here, does not appear to include a Utility section, seems like many of these P/Ns turn up in the Utility section for the 55-56 book.

Last, but not least, beware of generic vendors offering "trim screw kits". A neighbor restoring a Buick got hooked on one of those from "fleaBay". When the item arrived, he flipped it over and found an HF label. The "kit" was nothing more than a garden variety assortment of Phillips FLAT HEAD screws - none of which were correct for his car.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I bought a screw kit from Max Merritt. It was cheap and contained almost all the interior trim screws I needed for Best Other. I don't know if he still carries that item or not.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
I bought a screw kit from Max Merritt. It was cheap and contained almost all the interior trim screws I needed for Best Other. I don't know if he still carries that item or not.

Thanks, Randy. That's not a bad idea. He still lists the sets for about all models and even has one for the 47.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
My 1951 Club Sedan has predominantly Chrome Plated Phillips Head Oval Tapping Screws to secure interior trim. I just bought a swag of them, various sizes (- they haven't arrived yet so I'm hoping the quality etc is ok and matches the originals). Available as per link below at a reasonable price. You can download a Catalogue at Restoration Specialties & Supply Inc.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
Thanks!!

Posted on: 2013/5/4 3:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
1937 was the beginning of Phillips heads.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 5:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1OF750
See User information
there are 6 slotted screws 3 on each side of interior on top of doors (stainless steel trim I think), all other Phillips, they are very long perhaps 2 inches screwing into framework inside door holding down top trim. it appears they needed long and could not find so did the fast thing here. this apparently should be a long Phillips head (2 in or so)

thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/4 8:17
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved