Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 105

Jimmyk, Packard Don, Packard, Nevada56Hudson, curpack, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

AC line routing.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
First, I have no idea how Packard ran their prewar trunk AC lines. I've seen various photos and it looks like they might have used both sides to reach the trunk depending on model. Not sure conventional bodies would be the same as the Clipper but would appreciate any info. My route will have to be done on the passenger side. Postwar is a different unit, body and trunk floor so not many ideas there.

Looking for ideas and opinions on the lesser of the evils. Entrance into the trunk with AC lines can be done in two and maybe three places but the basic path is the same and both have disadvantages.

Getting to the rear will be done under the outer body or "running board area" if there were one. Same basic path and support as the fuel line takes on the drivers side. When it comes to exiting that run and getting in the trunk is where the issue arises. Options after exiting the "running board" are to the side of the exhaust pipe and having to be approx 8 inches away from it for a distance of about 24 inches before an opening can go into the trunk or-- Second option is duplicating the fuel line and follow the frame curve in the wheelwell to the highest point then up thru the wheelwell side into the trunk.

Disadvantages I can see are the heat from exhaust with first method and large radius bends and probably being closer than I would like to the tire with the second. Sealing the opening might also be more of an issue if it is in the wheelwell.

Planning on metal lines so that will keep the diameter down a bit but still larger than a fuel line. I sort of like the exhaust side option better and believe the lines can be shielded adequately. Opinions??

Posted on: 2014/2/23 19:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: AC line routing.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
There's a document on 1941 Packard Air Conditioning Operation, Service and Owner's Instructions in the site's archive that was filed with the 1940 Service Letters (and with filename coded for Vol. 14).

However, I believe this document was actually an insert to the 1941 Service Letters - per an article on 'Air Conditioing Instructions' in SL Vol. 15, No. 12. I indexed it as such under the Air Conditioning heading of the 37-42 installment to the site's Service Index - as 'SL Vol. 15, No. 8 (insert)'. Our scan also includes an updated page that was referenced in the later article.

Among the pages of this document is an illustration of a sedan showing the general location of AC system components - including lines and their diameters.

A similar illustration is provided for an article on 'Weather Conditioned Cars' in SL Vol. 14, No. 5, which also cites a separate parts list. Unfortuantely, I don't recall such a parts list in our arhcive.

Posted on: 2014/2/23 19:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Here is some information from the Body Construction section of the Packard Data Book for 1942 with a description and illustration of factory installed air conditioning as used on the Clipper bodies.

Attach file:

jpg  (137.42 KB)
1137_530a981f39727.jpg 930X1280 px

jpg  (77.78 KB)
1137_530a9853996f8.jpg 930X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/2/23 19:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Very Interesting. Looks like the compressor was on the drivers side in Clippers and line run down inside frame rail -- probably with with brake line and then crosses over.

I'm using a repro compressor mount for a conventional body so compressor is on the passenger side. Already finished with that part so don't really want to change it now. Will look into a different tubing route though and see how much of a problem it might be to get the tubing -- in particular the suction side -- over to drivers side. Conventional bodies ran a tube across the firewall but not sure I like that option.

Any ideas on why they changed the compressor to the opposite side on Clippers and did they keep the 356 horizontal ventilation tube and oil filter in the same spot. Those items are awfully close to that compressor location.

Thanks for the info from the fact book.

Posted on: 2014/2/23 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
As you're probably aware, the conventional body compressor location on the passenger side required a reroute of the heater line. The hard pipe "inboard" is replaced by a conventional rubber hose "outboard" passing through a clip on the inner fender

Posted on: 2014/2/24 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
interestingly the conventional body shown with AC is a Junior

Posted on: 2014/2/24 10:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Well, my three remaining active brain cells are stumped. AFAIK, the Clipper bodies and engine compartments are virtually the same pre and postwar. Would be interesting to know what and where Packard moved or sacrificed items to mount the compressor on the drivers side in a Clipper. If they moved nothing, it must be high and over the generator and horizontal tube. At any rate servicing the filter must be fairly interesting.

The Sanden compressor is small for the mount used so I am considering ditching the old conventional body repro mount and revising things to something along the clean lines Ross came up with. Possibly something could be done with the oil filter bolts and the thermostat housing bolts. Not sure the horizontal tube would stay though. Found a path for the tubing although looking at the drawing again, if it is accurate Packard seems to have done it differently than what I came up with. Maybe tubes are fastened to the floor rather than the frame.

Photos would resolve many unanswered questions if anyone has any to share but AC Clippers must be few and far between. The previously mentioned fellow owning the Clipper didn't respond to my last inquiry so won't bother him again. If the car happens to show at Salado, would sure appreciate some photos.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.78 KB)
209_530b8f8e2def6.jpg 640X512 px

jpg  (38.09 KB)
209_530b8f98a1486.jpg 640X558 px

Posted on: 2014/2/24 13:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Post-War A/C had the lines running down the outboard side of the passenger frame rail I believe. This kept the lines away from the exhaust pipe and muffler.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 15:09
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Post-War A/C had the lines running down the outboard side of the passenger frame rail I believe. This kept the lines away from the exhaust pipe and muffler.

You're right on the postwar cars. For the most part, I was planning to do it that way using the outer passenger side except for the bit that looked to be close to exhaust. When the drawing of the 42 Clipper was posted, plans changed.

Have even revisited the earlier route using the drivers side frame. Will still use the drivers side but there is a nice clear path using the body cross braces for the support points instead of the frame. Maybe that is what Packard did. At any rate the new route on the body is shorter so saves buying some lengths of tubing.

I think the compressor re-mounting on drivers side may also be figured out. In one of my more lucid moments when fabricating the initial passenger side I had actually made some things symmetrical. By flipping those over and adding a vertical piece, the comp can get above the horizontal tube and then out to still use the same belt. A second added piece down to the filter bolts should secure things. More on that change later -- if it works.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 16:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, if Terry brings his 41 AC equipped Clipper to Salado, I will certainly ask him for permission to examine and photograph the installation. I have found him to be friendly and cooperative and wonder why he has not gotten back to you.

(o{}O)

Posted on: 2014/2/24 18:05
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved