Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sharing my latest project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
Thought I would share some pictures (and a video) of the stages of my latest project.

Manifold Gasket Replacement Album

The pictures of the blue bucket with electrodes are the manifolds being de-rusted via electrolysis. After that I cleaned the manifolds with degreaser, followed by acetone, and coated with POR-15 Factory Manifold Gray.

The gasket set, and stud set came from Kanter. All fit perfectly. The only thing missing from the stud/nut set is the thick manifold washers. I couldn't find those anywhere in the Raleigh area, so I used grade 8 washers, doubled up.

What a huge improvement in how the engine runs. I can only assume that the gasket had been leaking vacuum at one or more of the intakes as well.

Chad

Posted on: 2014/6/6 13:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Sharing my latest project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sloride75
See User information
Wow, that came out really, really well. Looks great. I'm interested in seeing\hearing how well the POR holds up over time.

Posted on: 2014/6/6 22:50
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
The manifold looks great Chad.

Mark, I've used POR-15, in conjunction with their etching / galvanizing metal prep, on dozens of applications, including several on my Packard, over the past 2 decades and had very good luck with it. I'm located in Utah, where we use a lot of salt on our roads in the winter, so it's definitely been put to the test.

Posted on: 2014/6/8 10:04
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
When I have to go to all the rusty work of removing a manifold, especially a long intake manifold, I like to take it down to the local machine shop for a surface dressing.
Just took a 100 year old T-model Ford cylinder head down and machinist took 3 passes to get it flat.

Posted on: 2014/6/8 11:00
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback and positive comments. Getting the manifolds surfaced/dressed is good advice, and I would have done so, except for my own impatience to get back on the road.

I was thinking about this over the weekend, and honestly the hardest/most frustrating part of the process was putting the fender back on. It wasn't too hard to line up, but some of the screws and studs were a real bugger to get back in.

Does anyone have a source for the thick manifold washers? A couple of the doubled up grade 8 washers have buckled at only 30 lb-ft.

Posted on: 2014/6/9 8:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
MSC has a wide variety of aircraft-quality extra thick steel washers in many sizes, and no doubt McMaster-Carr does as well. For general industrial equipment MSC in my experience has the widest range of products, and outstanding customer service and delivery.

http://www.mscdirect.com/

Posted on: 2014/6/9 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And if MSC or McMaster doesn't have something, Cli55er found another option he went with for his 55 engine.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=93555#forumpost93555

Posted on: 2014/6/9 9:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
Thanks for the links and hints for the thick washers.

Now that I got a little prodding, I am finding them all over the place. There are many suppliers to choose from, with lots of options in 3/16" thick, some even as thick as 1/4".

Edit 6/10:

I wound up ordering these: 3/8 x 1" x 3/16 thick washers from Amazon.

Thanks,
Chad

Posted on: 2014/6/9 11:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved