Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

pmhowe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R-9 Overdrive Wanted
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
The overdrive in my dad's Packard Series 22 is bad (the case and the shaft are good).

Does anyone know where I can pick one up?

Is the R-11 physically interchangeable with the R-9 but using the R-9 relay panel and solenoid (in other words...when they upgraded to the R-11 overdrive it was done because the R-11 was a better/stronger design and since they were replacing the OD unit they changed the electronics to a better design as well however the question is... will the R-11 swap into the R-9 location and function properly without having to swap out the relay box, wiring, and solenoid)?

THANKS GUYS FOR YOUR HELP (Cyber yelling intended)!!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/5/7 11:08
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: R-9 Overdrive Wanted
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The R-11 needs to be installed as a package.
The electrical circuit is simplified so the relay, wiring and solenoid are different.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 11:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I understand that the relay box (on the engine side of the dash panel) is different and I also understand that the wiring therefore would also be different however if the physical size of the R-11 is the same as the R-9 then I was hoping to install the R-11 on the back of the transmission in place of the R-9 and extend the solenoid wires to the passenger side of the car and use the longer R-11 solenoid ...in other words...same electric brain but different overdrive unit.

Has anyone done this?

If not then I need to find a R-9 Overdrive Unit.

Bill

Posted on: 2015/5/7 14:30
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless you want to find a complete R11 trans and OD I think you need to stick with the R9. As was mentioned, it is not a matter of just bolting on the OD. In addition to the different OD assy there is a different OD case to trans case adapter piece and those components and a different trans output shaft. I believe there are a couple of other differences inside the trans case pertaining to the mechanism which locks out OD when reverse gear is selected.

Electrically, if you do change to the R11 I think you should change the relay and not try to use the R9 item. With the R9 relays being so hard to come by and expensive, IMO it would be advantageous to preserve it. You wouldn't have to have a true R11 relay because an ordinary inexpensive 6v 30amp cube type power relay from a supplier or parts store and a fuseholder would work for the R11.

The R9 relay could be made to work but since the power can't be split like the R11 circuit, you would be giving up another feature of the R11 and that being when the ign was off the OD was off -- unlike the R9 where the relay box is always powered. A short or other issue with wiring or a component could keep the solenoid energized when the car was off and unattended on the R9 but not on the R11.

Other changes are fairly minor but you will also need to get the R11 kickdown switch as the ignition cutout portion of the wiring is different and uses kickdown switch contacts and not the two relay contacts as the R9 did.

If you go with another R9, to keep it simple in case you do need to swap internal parts try and find the same version as you already have. If you look at the OD case, I believe the version is cast into the passenger side upper rear area. It will be something like R9 on one version and R9-1 or R9-A on the other version. There are some internal differences between the two types since one has a heavy duty planetary setup.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 15:19
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What exactly is wrong with your current unit? I'm sure most service parts are available and the R-9 is a very rugged unit, why not just rebuild/repair what you have?

Posted on: 2015/5/7 17:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
The annular ring broke and a lot of internal parts broke in the process.

If I cannot find a replacement OD unit at a reasonable cost then I will try to rebuild this one.

Posted on: 2015/5/7 19:14
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I am in Sacramento and have several R-9s and some parts, I will be happy to help you out, cost will depend on what you need. Dell

Posted on: 2015/5/7 19:47

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
THANKS Dell!!!

The transmission is at the shop and the technician is looking it over and will have a parts list.

Posted on: 2015/5/8 19:36
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I can help too... I have a LOT of overdrive parts or can simply send a complete unit.

Posted on: 2015/5/9 5:35
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved