Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
227 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 227

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Clutch and Brake Arm Alignment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
After putting this thing all back together one (of the many) problems I am having is that the clutch arm and brake arm are both hitting the metal firewall plate.

I made sure that the bushings (copper looking washers) for the clutch/brake lever shaft were installed in the same position as previous however once the two levers found their natural position on the shaft that the two levers would barely scrape on the metal firewall plate.

I thought I could simply move the plate on the firewall however because the spring on the shaft sits between the clutch lever and the brake lever it pushes both away from each other to the point where the clutch lever will scrape on the outboard side of its hole in the plate and the brake lever will scrape on the inboard side of its hole.

What is the fix?

Does one (me) need to buy bushings and place them to the left of the clutch lever and to the right of the brake lever to move each inboard sufficiently to reduce the scraping?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/23 15:51
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Clutch and Brake Arm Alignment
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't believe there is any factory adjustment other than being able to slide the plate side to side slightly to center the pedal arms in the holes. Otherwise, the spacing between the pedals is fixed and depends on the two bronze bushings inside the pedal and the shaft being in good condition. If there is wear the pedal arms will want to spread out a bit because of the way the various return springs and linkages pull on each pedal.

I believe your arrangement is the same as the 47 with the single grease fitting on the brake end of the shaft. On mine and a few others the brake pedal was tolerable but there was quite a bit of wear and wobble on the clutch pedal. My theory is aside from the wear from the clutch being used far more than the brake, grease rarely made it all the way down the shaft to reach the clutch because the lubing was stopped as soon as it ran out the brake side.

You might check yours to rule out wear. If you can grab the top of pedal and move it side to side more than a very slight amount the bushing or shaft is worn. Replacing the shaft or bushings would be the proper solution but unless it is a huge amount of wobble you might be able to control it and move the pedal and still have some rigidity for reliable use by adding the extra spacer washers on the appropriate side of the pedals.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 16:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Bill; On both my 48's I have bored out the pedals and pressed in bushings, I believe used plymouth wrist pin bushings. and had new shafts machined. It is a big job, but sure works like new. Dell

Posted on: 2015/8/23 18:42

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hmmm...good info.

I will inspect the shaft and inside bore of the pedals (again) to see if there is any wear. I will also try to see if I can find any bushings of the proper bore to shim the outside of the pedals to bring them inboard a bit.

I originally tried to file the outboard side of each hole however that would have required a bit of filing and the holes would have been too wide to be "normal".

THANKS AGAIN and I will report back.

Posted on: 2015/8/23 23:20
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though I haven't seen it advertised recently, one of the PAC regions was selling a clutch & brake pedal shaft repair kit with an 0.003" oversize shaft, bushings, etc. Perhaps someone else can identify the vendor.

Posted on: 2015/8/24 7:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Though I haven't seen it advertised recently, one of the PAC regions was selling a clutch & brake pedal shaft repair kit with an 0.003" oversize shaft, bushings, etc. Perhaps someone else can identify the vendor.

I tried to find that oversize shaft assy when I did mine. Don't remember the region but IIRC, when I inquired they had sold out of the Clipper style and the fellow that made them was no longer doing any. At the time it didn't look like they were going to make more. That was a couple of years ago and hopefully the situation has changed or if not, maybe another region will take over.

Posted on: 2015/8/24 8:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Hello All

I don't know if helps or not but I searched for this same item for my 1940 and came up empty. I finally had somebody suggest Ron Carpenter. I have had business with him previously and he was able to make a new one for me.

I tried all of the usual suppliers without avail.

Fred D

Posted on: 2015/8/24 9:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Bill, Ron is just up the road from you. He is in Alamo.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/8/24 10:01
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
The Ron Carpenter I was referring to is in California.

His Email is rcarp1940@aol.com.

Maybe he can help

Fred D

Posted on: 2015/8/24 16:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

1940-120 wrote:
The Ron Carpenter I was referring to is in California.

His Email is rcarp1940@aol.com.

Maybe he can help

Fred D

Fred, a common mistake thinking Alamo means the Alamo site in San Antonio, Texas. Ron lives in Alamo, California. It is the next community south of Walnut Creek and north of San Jose.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/8/25 11:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved