Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 155

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'24 143 7 Passenger - Vin plate and Serial Number query
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Found this post in the Chatroom

yazdi] 2:02 am: Good morning, I just purchased a 1924 Packard 143 -7 passenger . This is my first packard. Where do I find the VIN plate? Is the serial number stamped somewhere on the frame? i can clearly see the engine number on the lower front right side of engine. Thanks

Will send "yazdi" a PM.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 14:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Re: '24 143 7 Passenger - Vin plate and Serial Number query
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
The problem is one of terminology. The term "VEHICLE IDENTIFICATON NUMBER" was the result of a federal law about 35 years ago. Cars built after that had to have a "VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER", which had to be visible from outside the car, on the dash-board.

Prior to that, there was no such thing as a "VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER". Cars had "serial numbers", with each manufacturer having its own idea on how to identify cars for licensing and law-enforcement issues.

Packard used the ENGINE number from day one. That is the number that should appear on the car's legal documents.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 15:30
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

yazdi
See User information
thank you for the information

Posted on: 2008/10/26 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Yeah, it's a matter of semantics, but I have to disagree; before the mandated VINs Packard called their identifying number a VEHICLE NUMBER, not a serial number. Please look at a Packard Patent Plate of almost any era (sample below).

Up until about the 9th series the vehicle number was the motor number, but not thereafter. And many, perhaps most states titled with the vehicle number, though there are exceptions. In fact most Packards I've seen titled with motor numbers (and its damn few) were those where the original patent plate was missing.

On your 1924 Packard the plate should be on the inside of the cowl, above the clutch/brake pedals. In that era, the vehicle number is the motor number.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.85 KB)
177_49050bb585770.jpg 400X297 px

Posted on: 2008/10/26 19:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Perhaps a better example is this earlier patent plate where the identifying number is the motor number, but it's called the VEHICLE NUMBER. And then an example from 1949 or so, again it's a VEHICLE NUMBER, not a serial number.

Attach file:

jpg  (22.55 KB)
177_49050e360e013.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  (72.84 KB)
177_49050e6924f7e.jpg 768X708 px

Posted on: 2008/10/26 19:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Al,

See you've put the question into the Chatroom again

[yazdi] 11:14 am: Good evening gentlemen, i am a new member. I just purchased a 1924 packard 143, 5-7 passenger from a friend of mine. He owned this car for a long time. Can anyone tell me where would I find the VIN plate or the chassis number. I can clearly see the engine number on the lower right side of motor. thanks, Al

Have a look at this thread on the Packard Automobile Club of Australia's website. There could be something in there which might help. And note that DavidM there is also a member of Packardinfo.

http://packard.freeforums.org/23-packard-t16.html

Posted on: 2008/10/26 19:46
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
Ozstatman wrote: G'day Al, See you've put the question into the Chatroom again.......

Sorry Al,

Posted my reply before I read your reply above. Looks like you've found your way through the maze!

And as I said in my PM, could please put your '24 in the Owner Registry together with a pic, and history if known? It would be most appreciated.

And a formal to the Site.

Posted on: 2008/10/26 21:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
I dont know about other states - I spent most of my driving age years in Calif.

I owned a bit more than a few Packards down thru the years -to get "pink" slips ( Calif. Certificate Of Ownership ) DMV always in those pre "VIN" years, always insisted on the ENGINE number.

As a side note, when I brought my V-12 American La France fire engine into Calif., (this was in the mid-1980's - long after all states had adopted the Fed. law creating the VIN system - think that was in the late 60's) they at first refused to register it because it did not have a VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION number. Of course it did have a very similar "builder's patent plate" like Packard had, even stamped with a "Vehicle Number".

The DMV clerk was very insistant that I go back outside and look on the upper dash for the VIN. I explained it was a 1936 fire engine - open cab., so there WAS NO UPPER DASH!

Then she said I would have to write the manufacturer "and get a statement from them that they had violated Federal law for their failure to install a VIN, and then Calif. could, with that letter for their legal authority, stamp a new VIN on the vehicle's upper dash" (she STILL didn't "get it that there IS no "upper dash" on an open-cab 1938 American La France fire engine....!).

I explained that the American La France Co. of Elmira, New York, closed its doors nearly 50 years ago, and the factory had long since been torn down. And of course I explained to her the law creating the VIN system didnt come into existence until some forty years after my fire engine was built.....!

Can you believe this..? Her response was.."THAT'S NO EXCUSE"...

Bottom line - finally got them to accept the "Vehicle Number" on the brass mfg's "build plate"...!

Posted on: 2008/10/27 13:06
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Reminds me of when I registered by Packard on my E-Z Pass account. It ended up as "MAKE - unknown" and "MODEL - Packard" despite my lengthy letter. Who was it, Longfellow(?) who said something like "a foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of feeble minds". Perhaps a motto for some of our civil servants and their programs.

Posted on: 2008/10/27 13:56
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
Dear Friend in Australia:

On a First Series Packard Eight the data plate (sometimes called the patent plate)is attached to the inside of the firewall, right above the clutch and brake pedals. On it will be stamped a vehicle number and possibly the name of the dealer who sold the car and the date it was delivered.

On the Second Series Eight 2-36 and 2-43 the data plate is fastened to the engine side of the firewall.

It is possible, of course, that the data plate on your 1-43 has been removed.

Send me your email, and I will communicate with you privately and more fully on the location of other Packard numbers.

Thank you.

JP in NJ.

Posted on: 2008/11/12 19:45
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved