Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Horn, clock, and radio on the same circuit?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Before the veteran Packard collectors beat-up on my obvious ignorance, please understand I am like Sgt. Schultz from the old TV show "Hogan's Heroes," in that I know nothing. Absolutely nothing about the mechanics of autos in general. So, if I ask a hopelessly pedestrian question, understand where I'm coming from.

I was looking at an unrestored survivor 1938 Packard 120 coupe with all the electrical working except the horn, radio, and clock, prompting me to wonder if they might be on the same circuit. Or, if they just happened not to be working regardless of which circuitry they may or may not be on.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/1/13 11:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Horn, clock, and radio on the same circuit?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Coincidental failures.

Horns are rarely if ever fused in Packards. Voltage is taken directly from the battery connection at starter solenoid to a relay and then to horns. Most likely the relay has failed or the wire to horn button is open or button is not able to complete the connection to ground to energize the relay. There have also been occasions where the horn relay has been miswired or even replaced with the wrong type so it can't work with the stock wiring.

Radio power can be taken from different places thru its own fuse. It could be power related with the supply point or more likely the vibrator circuit inside the radio has failed. A failure could either blow the fuse or if the vibrator isn't moving, the transformer and rectifiers can't produce the high voltage the radio internals need. If the vibrator is working and radio has a soft buzzing sound it probably has power. If that's the case then another reason for not working could be the antenna or antenna lead wire has a problem.

Clocks are failure prone due to dry or gummed up lube so the mechanism just can't operate. Another possibility is the winding mechanism contacts are in need of service. The winding mechanism is an electromagnet which kicks an armature a small amount to put tension on a spring. As the clock winds down the spring, every few seconds the armature hits a point which snaps a set of contacts closed. When the contacts close they arc as the winding mechanism kicks back to the end position and contacts snap open. If the lube starts drying out, the armature can't kick fast so the contacts do not open quickly. A low battery doesn't kick the armature very hard either so that can also be the reason for a slow action. If arcing and severe pitting hang the contacts they can slow or burn. Anything that results in slow disconnects usually results in a blown fuse and can put the contacts in such a poor condition they won't reliably work the winding mechanism.

Posted on: 2016/1/13 12:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Bless you, Howard, for taking the time and making the effort to articulate the electrical issues in layman terms that might be the reason(s) for a non-functioning radio, horn, and/or clock.

Based solely on the pic of the clock included in the ad for the 1938 120 Packard coupe, the hands are not even intact, but the glass covering is ok.

I wouldn't hesitate to guess that repairing those three items might not be overly costly.

My particular interest in the car is that it is listed as being in good running order and at a cursory glance--say when viewed by others when being driven--the cosmetic aspect of the car is pretty good. Only upon closer examination would someone see the scratches, paint chips, and torn rubber surfaces on the running boards. All those are issues that could be addressed in a piece-meal fashion as personal finances might dictate.

Thank you again for the informative response.
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/1/13 13:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
As mentioned before, have an expert examine the car. Body work and rust repair can be costly, and will probably not what can be done yourself. Rust can be hidden. Make sure of correct engine numbers, etc. Is the car in the U.K.?

Posted on: 2016/1/14 1:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"Is the car in the U.K.?"

According to the link in Garrett's other thread - "Owned by 3 different people over its life time and very well taken care of. documented mileage of 69541. along with history dating back to the first owner. Originally purchased from a Packard dealer ship in White Plains New York this fine automobile has lived in a garage most of its life. Locally driven in a small Florida town over the last 30 years and prior years in Pittsburg. Pa. The car runs and drives excellent; paint is original and still has an amazing shine. The interior is in amazing shape for being original and very comfortable. Clear Florida title" and "Shipping origin is Florida 33446. U.S. shipping only"

I'd be cautious, if buying from this Website, as I know a couple of Packards they have listed for sale here in Oz were sold quite some time ago!

Posted on: 2016/1/14 2:31
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved