Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 84

39Rollson, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Panther videos
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mahoning63
See User information
Just came across these. The first is a period piece with a Panther cameo, unfortuntely in wide aspect ratio. Seccond is modern and very nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAIMm6czEvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQgtLzrNF4c

Posted on: 2016/3/5 9:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Panther videos
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks for posting.

The Panther pictured in the modern video is the one commonly called Panther #3, they were identified on the VN plate by motor number, M600127 in this case.

Posted on: 2016/3/5 10:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Thanks for posting.

The Panther pictured in the modern video is the one commonly called Panther #3, they were identified on the VN plate by motor number, M600127 in this case.

Nope. Absolutely not! Absolutely not. The silver gray customized Panther shown in this video is a morphenized never-was... made out of what used to be Kennard Voyle's former Panther. Sad, too because this is (or WAS) ACTUALLY PANTHER #1, not #3.

For the record...
? It never had an all gray interior and this interior is done wrong anyway. NO PANTHER EVER had an all-gray interior.

? It never had "Mitchell" names on it until it suddenly turned up in recent years in auctions and a museum, morphed with a new paint job and new interior and these names stuck on. It was NEVER that way in it's history.

? The original REAL Mitchell Panther was modified into having 1955 tail lights and still exists today in New Jersey.

? The REAL Mitchell Panther was never silver gray... it was Danube Blue...and yes, color photos indeed still exist. In 1955, the Mitchell Panther was repainted Roman Copper and Corsican Black. Yes, these color photos still exist too.

? The REAL original colors on the car in the video were, yes, Silver Gray (for just a few weeks) and then very bright orangish-red. It ought to be that color today if the present owner wants to do justice to the car and return it to original. The interior was always orangish-red bolsters with silver-gray pleated leather inserts. As in ALWAYS.

? The original "Mitchell" Panther never-EVER had a supercharger.

? The car in this video was actually Panther #1 and the first Panther-Daytona. Why and how it got morphed into what you see now is anybody's guess.

? There were only TWO Panther-Daytonas... these were #1 and #2. The subsequent Panthers were just "Panther", NOT "Panther-Daytona"... and the #3 and #4 cars never had superchargers, nor were they ever called "Panther-Daytona" until recent years when auction companies got ahold of them and started making up their own "histories"...which had nothing to do with the actual histories of the cars.

? The actual number of the engine in this gray morphie is-or at least originally was- "M6000 060" and, as I said, it was Panther #1 before somebody decided to "custo-mod" it.

The correct and original full history of the Packard Panthers was published in The Packard Club's magazine, "The Packard Cormorant" for Spring, 1984, issue #34. The information in that history is still accurate today in 2016... no matter what the auction companies and calendars and books and the internet might be trying to tell us today.

Of course, the real question here is what happened to this poor Panther after it disappeared into the auction world.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 17:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Leeedy for the correction and added info.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 18:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Most welcome! I'm always happy to talk about Packard Panthers and their history.

By the way... watch for even more accurate Panther history and never-before seen photos in the upcoming book on the history of Creative Industries. It will be released in late summer of 2016 and is the very first book to cover the history and dream cars made by this Detroit company. Many unknown secrets will be revealed in this book and it will be well worth the purchase. You can already see a preview of it on Amazon.com.

In case people don't know about Creative Industries of Detroit, know that they built, much of the Packard Balboa, the Packard Panthers, and the Packard Request. They also repaired and maintained the Packard Predictor after it caught fire at the uncrating of the car when it arrived at the Packard Plant from Ghia in Italy.

Creative also made lots of other dream cars for other companies, including the Ford Atmos-FX and Mystere and the Mercury XM-800. In later years, they built the limited production run of Dodge Daytona (there's that name again) wing cars and made the component parts for the Plymouth Superbird. And they did a lot of other amazing things.

Posted on: 2016/3/12 18:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Leeedy

Thanks for keeping the Panther history straight. When it comes to auction companies, if the actual history is available but not sensational enough, their fiction writers take over.

Will you be offering your upcoming history of Creative Industries here autographed prior to the general market? Buying copies directly from you would be the best.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/3/13 10:30
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Again, most welcome. Thanks for the interest. I'm happy to watch over the true history of these cars that I've known since they were built. I knew all four, rode in two and drove one. Close friends who are no longer with us actually worked on these cars as they were being built... and as they were being re-styled. All this was done at Creative.

Regarding the sales of the upcoming Creative Industries book, this is not a self-published work. As such, I have no control over the sales of the book-other than to make suggestions to the publisher. However, I am certain that if enough people write letters in to CarTech Publishing with a request such as yours, certainly something can probably be arranged.

There will also be photos and secrets revealed about the Balboa, Request, Predictor, Ed Macauley's special Caribbean and other concepts for Packard and others in this book.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 18:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Link to Leon's book on Amazon about Creative Industries.

Posted on: 2016/3/13 22:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Forgot one slight point that no one will know, but I'll put it on the record anyway.

I mentioned in my original post here that the Mitchell Panther was repainted in 1955. Actually I did not mention that it was repainted twice in 1955. For just a very short time prior to when the Mitchell Panther was repainted Roman Copper and Corsican Black in 1955, it was actually SOLID Roman Copper. This was for a very, very short time while it still had the 1954 Clipper tail lights, but had already been modified with a removable hard top roof.

In addition to the information upcoming in the Creative Industries book, watch for an eye-popping article with photos on special postwar brown concept Packards in an upcoming issue of the Packard Club's magazine, The Packard Cormorant.

Posted on: 2016/3/14 14:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Looks like signed copies of Leon's book on Creative Industries could become available after emailing the publisher and receiving this reply(edited) "We haven't confirmed yet if there will be signed copies available for this book, but I'm sure we could work something out with the author to sign a copy for you........Book is not due until mid-July, so I can drop a note to the author and see if he's willing to help us out. I'll get back to you once I hear from him"

Posted on: 2016/3/14 14:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved