Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
98 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 97

Dbedsole, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pictures needed....21st serues 356 engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
We are getting ready to reassemble the engine on my 2126 356 engine. In a tale to long to recount and to painful to remember, the car (and or) engine has been in six shops the last of which is doing an amazing job putting reassembling. Bits and pieces were removed along the way and presently, all (or most) of the equipment removed has been collected under one roof. A few items referred to on the Packard literature and manuals aren't there and for the most part, I don't remember seeing them at anytime in the last 30 years. The heat shield and it's mounting hardware are a big question mark. The diagrams on the literature page are not clear at all as to the parts or fastenings necessary to mount to the right side of the block in the area of oil pump/fuel pump assemblies. Hoping someone has a few clear photos of how this is mounted. I will have to order the heat shield but not sure what else might be needed to assemble. Thanks in advance for any visual help here.

Posted on: 2017/5/30 10:40
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Pictures needed....21st serues 356 engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Shield just mounts on two bolts. The top shares the manifold stud nut and the bottom shares a fuel pump bolt. John Ulrich has new repro shields.

On the fuel pump, there are two fiber bushings which fit into oversize holes in the pump casting. There is a small recess on the bushings which fit a corresponding shoulder in the casting. Fiber washers go next to the pump casting and then 3/8 drilled head bolts and a steel washer fit thru the fiber washers and bushings to hold everything together. The fiber provides a bit of insulation from the heat of the block. I didn't find the bushings at vendors when I put mine together a few years ago so bought a length of wear resistant Garolite tubing and the fiber washers from McMaster-Carr and made mine

Since the fiber bushings and washers won't give a good surface for lockwashers, pump bolts were usually wire tied. That wire was frequently removed and never replaced when the pumps were worked on as is the case with the engine in this photo..

Attach file:

jpg  (97.44 KB)
209_592d97e257ac4.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2017/5/30 11:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

custo eight
See User information
Thank you Howard. I do have the angle bracket (roughly 3 x1 1/2" and the 3/8 bolt with the wire seizing holes. Will order the heat shield and see if we can piece it back together. Someday in "General" I will describe the ordeal of getting the engine work done....once I sober up!!

Posted on: 2017/5/30 11:41
Where principles are involved, be deaf to expediency. (Matthew Fontaine Maury 18th century oceanographer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rscott77x
See User information
Great looking exhaust manifold....Hirsch exhaust coating?

Posted on: 2017/6/3 14:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Rscott77x wrote:
Great looking exhaust manifold....Hirsch exhaust coating?

POR 15 factory manifold gray high temp coating. The Hirsch product is probably the same if not very similar finish.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.28 KB)
209_593311710a082.jpg 722X762 px

Posted on: 2017/6/3 14:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidPackard
See User information
I have my Model A exhaust manifold treated/painted with the POR-15 manifold paint. Whether it needs it or not I refresh about every 7-8 years . . . it lasts quite a long time. The finish is applied by stippling more than brushing. I used a brush about one inch in width with the bristles shortened to about ? inch. Just the very end of the bristles were dipped into the 'paint' (more like anti-seize or soft butter), and then the brush was tapped axially (stabbing not drumming) in such a way that the bristles hardly deflected . . . much like painting with stencils. That one small can is a life-time supply . . . no matter how many cars you own . . . you'll get a lot of the manifold area covered before you need to reload the brush. I started with a 'sand blasted' manifold. I believe the stippling pushed the product deep into the 'as cast' surface finish. The manifold has been completely rust-free for at least 12 years. The product didn't however make the Model A go any faster . . . it's still a 45 mph speed demon no matter how good the manifold looks.

I'd recommend the POR-15 manifold treatment.

dp

Posted on: 2017/6/3 23:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Amen! Ernie

Posted on: 2017/6/4 11:04
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved