Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
173 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 172

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

spray chrome?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Anyone here ever try the spray chrome? I've seen a few videos on you tube. Jay Leno had a demonstration on his video. From what I gather it is basically the same idea as the silvering used on mirrors. Claim it is as durable as real chrome. Says it needs to be clear coated and can not be applied directly metal.Metal must be primed first.

John

Posted on: 2019/4/23 9:47
 Top  Print   

Re: spray chrome?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I think this has been talked about before but not too much. Here's one link:https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=18520&forum=4&post_id=183721#forumpost183721
Wes

Posted on: 2019/4/23 14:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Sounds like we have mixed thoughts on it..... Thanks Wes

Posted on: 2019/4/23 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Yeah John, my best take on the spray chrome is that it is somewhat of a 'carnival cure'. An old car buff was telling me that some very decent results can be achieved from powder-coating and it is about half the cost of chroming. I am kind of 'old-school' here and think that when it comes to bumpers and such, 'you get what you pay for' and proper chroming is the 'real deal'. That is certainly what I am going to do with my car.
(oh, and BTW John, I looked up the weight differences of '39 vs. '46 and they are almost identical.[within a hundred pounds] re performance musings from previous post)

Posted on: 2019/4/23 16:07
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I just figured it might be better than rust. A 1951 200 4dr sedan I have would cost more in chrome than the car is worth.

Posted on: 2019/4/23 17:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Trust me, I GET that, John! That's why I posted the alternative solution on my exhaust/intake manifolds. I would have loved to send my exhaust casting away and have it professionally either porcelained, or ceramic coated but there has to be a cutting line where one must differentiate between drivers and trailer queens and while I respect the heck out of these guys that have those cars, worth in the hundreds of thousands, there is a tipping point where I just can't justify some things that don't 'match' the pedigree of my car, a 4-Dr Six. It's easy to rack up significant dollars on these projects as it is, but one DOES have to keep in mind 'the most the car will ever be worth', and not exceed that number by too ridiculous an amount. I'm sure we all 'go over' and we're not in this for the money, BUT..... just sayin'

Posted on: 2019/4/23 18:02
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I was looking at the feasibility of starting a shop to do the chrome substitutes. However, I never saw enough actual products to convince me it would sell.

I've sent parts to plating shops with all the right credentials and was shocked at the lack of understanding as to what they were dealing with.

That only makes me lean more toward chrome substitutes.

As well in 20 years plating will be gone. Early pot metal parts usually come back from plating in abhorrent condition so at least chrome substitutes are not intrusive. This Deluxe ornament I'm dealing with is a good candidate because a plating shop would grind away all that original detailing.

What needs to be done is the development end. From my perspective nobody even understands the older cars anyway. Try to convince the rich to spend money on recreating the old brush paint jobs that had that deep luster. They only want crap.

I will stay here in engineering thank you.

Posted on: 2019/4/25 13:06
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
i believe that would be the best way to do pot medal
if i knew where to buy it i would try it, i have alot needs done, does anyone know where to buy it?
let me know ,Thanks

Posted on: 2019/4/26 0:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
From the videos I've seen, it's not something you just buy and spray on. It takes special equipment.

Posted on: 2019/4/26 1:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
This is one thing I found that looks interesting....
https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Spray-On-Chrome-kit/

Posted on: 2019/4/26 10:27
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved