Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Packard 300 - Where to begin?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JMB
See User information
I have recently acquired a 1951 Packard 300 as a Dad and Lad project car. It is in serious need of some TLC to restore it to its former glory.

I'd be interested in advice and suggestions on a good order of operations for the restoration from anyone who has undertaken a similar restoration in the past.

After an initial once over, everything needs at least some work as the car has been sitting for a long time. The good news is the engine is not seized, but I'll strip it down to be sure.

My current thinking is to start on the braking system, then move to the engine and cooling before tackling the electrical.

Once it can stop and go, I can then better evaluate the rest of the mechanical systems and pick them off one by one. Leaving cosmetic issues to the last phase.

Based on the collective knowledge of the forum, is this a reasonable order? Or, should I approach things in a different sequence? Should I combine working on brakes and steering at the same time?

Posted on: 2020/7/26 12:35
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Packard 300 - Where to begin?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Here's you a good starting point.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (341.42 KB)
1003_5f1dfcd62ce55.jpg 1425X1920 px

jpg  (408.15 KB)
1003_5f1dfce82a8a3.jpg 1509X1920 px

Posted on: 2020/7/26 17:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day JMB,
to PackardInfo and for including your '51 300 Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2020/7/26 19:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
With long sleepers like yours I always try to get them running first--oil up the cylinders, crank them over with the plugs out til the oil light goes off. Then hook up a gravity feed tank to the carb and clean the points so that they conduct electricity. Fire it up. See if the trans will go into gear. Sure it won't run well and you can't drive it but you will have an idea early on what you are up against.

This is actually a type of emergency room triage. If major problems show up like bottom end noise or no movememt from the Ultramatic you can make a decision about whether you want to go forward with the car at all. It is too depressing and may doom the lad's enthusiasm to encounter a major roadblock after some work has been done. Supply of postwar Packard sedans is large and is probably already outstripping demand so you can choose your battles after you know the basic situation.

Posted on: 2020/7/27 6:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

JMB
See User information
Many thanks for the document - it gives me a good place to start.

I have had the engine running from a plastic bottle of gas, fed directly into the carb. While it sounded rough - there were no unexpected noises.

I didn't risk putting the car into gear as the brakes are not working at all. I didn't fancy fixing the garage walls as well as the car.

Posted on: 2020/8/1 22:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved